Topic

Gravity bag & pre-filter w/ pop bottle threads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Gravity bag & pre-filter w/ pop bottle threads

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

Gravity bag from old 2 L Platypus.  PVC pipe pre-filter turned to snug fit to inside of platy spout (does not leak) and has a male pop bottle thread glued to lower end.  Sawyer filter now screws on to pre-filter.  Filter media is polyester fill rolled tightly  and inserted into PVC with about 1 inch sticking out inside of bag for a course filter.  Optional small bag of activated charcoal loads into bottom of pre-filter to improve taste.  Water for testing was from turbid pond.

At home, another adapter from female pop bottle thread to garden hose allows quick back flush (at low pressure)

Total weight to service 2+ people is 8.6 oz.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

What kind of glue did you use for PVC to PET?

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

Adhesive is an ACYRIC hot met glue.  I find that the acrylic is somewhat soft and pliable but sticks well…hard to remove from the PET or PVC.  Rated for use around food.  The acrylic formulation worked better than any other type of adhesive or hot melt I tried.

Specifically I used a Surebonder product that was labled “Acryl Stik”.  It was available at hardware/craft stores in 10 stick packages and a bit more pricey than other hot melt.  I will not give a catalog number as Surebonder has just recently (2019) changed that product but kept the same catalog number (and UPC code).  Bad business!  The new product is NOT the same and does not work well.

There are other makers of acrylic hot melt but I have yet to find one that I can purchase in small quantites and test.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools