Topic

Granite gear crown 60 backpack ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Granite gear crown 60 backpack ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

whats you opinion on the drop granite gear crown x60 for a beginner pack for 3-5 day trips.
    Or try to find a better used pack.

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

I can get for 100 with discount as well.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

No experience with that model, but I do have a previous generation Crown 60 and like it quite a bit.  The 2017 version (which is what the Drop x60 is built from) was a significant improvement, while the 2019 version was another large step forward.

Review on Section Hiker

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I have the W’s version of the original/2017 Crown2 60, and I love it.  It is my go-to pack for most trips, up to 5 days.  I think it carries loads up to 30 lbs very well (rated for 35, but I haven’t tried that). The organization is spartan, but for minimalists (and this is NOT a luxury pack) it is adequate.  Be sure about your sizing because the harness is not adjustable for torso length, tho there is some adjustability of hip belt circumference.  Interesting that from what I can see of the Drop product, the removable brain can be paired with the hipbelt to create a fanny pack – mine does not do that.

My only minor quibbles are that I wish the compression straps were all a bit longer – that may have been remedied in later iterations.

WRT to the first poster’s question, is this a good beginner pack, I would say yes BUT ONLY IF the fit is right (get help), you can keep your load to 30-35 lbs max, and the 60 l volume works for you.  Many beginner backpackers would be better served by renting or borrowing something to begin with until they have their gear dialed in.  No way could I have used this as my first pack.  Looks like a great deal.

Paul Schuyler
    BPL Member

@capnpaul

I have that GGx MD Crown 60 pack, along with last year’s Crown 2 and a GG Blaze AC 60.  The blaze is an excellent pack, super comfortable and carries a load very well (i pack with 2 kids so I’m the mule…).  As i upgraded and lightened up my own gear, and my kids got bigger and more capable, i bought a Crown 2. I feel it’s a great balance of light weight (just over 2#) and utility.  Then i saw the massdrop version when it came out and got it for $100. I take the brain about half the time so that i can have it for peak-bagging with the kids, and it makes a super nice fanny pack with the hip belt from the pack.  I use UL myog bottle holsters on the hip belt, so on a peak hike i can easily pack 2 x 1L powerade bottles (i prefer the short fat design but also use smartwater bottles sometimes).

Overall i really like the GG x MD pack, and I’d definitely recommend it.

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

Seem like mostly good reviews .I think ill buy one,heck for 100 i dont see anything even close thats used,i have a old Gregory and a brand new hill people gear ute thats awesome but im going to sale it,its over 6 pounds with the back pouch attached.Im getting older and back and hip issues seem to be getting worse.If i can cut the weight in half that would be awesome.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I have the crown v.1 and love it. I would use only that pack if I didn’t have to carry bear canister. It just doesn’t carry that very well. Without it, no problem up to 30 pounds.

Im still testing out my GG Blaze, don’t have a conclusion yet. It has way too many straps! I like the thin compression cords on my Crown better.

Sergio L
    Spectator

@mt1

I have been using the crown 2 for about 2 years. I love it. I think I only used the brain once otherwise it just stays at home. It honestly may be too big of a pack for me these days as I dont pack much stuff any more. But for longer trips with out resupply I see the merits of the 60L size. It’s a good all around pack. I’ve used it to travel across country as well since I hate normal luggage. Its held up to the abuse of my self and baggage handlers. Which is why I’m kind of hesitant to replace it with a lighter pack as I’m very rough on it. I have this bad habit from the boy scouts of sitting on my pack when taking a break which I know isnt good for it but its held up with only a minor hole because I wasnt paying attention and threw it onto a stump.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools