Topic

Grand Canyon shuttle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Grand Canyon shuttle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I am doing a rim 2 rim in October in the Grand Canyon and typically take the shuttle from the south rim back to the north rim.  The shuttle is currently shut down due to COVID.  Does anyone have any recommendations on alternatives or know of any personal shuttle services I can hire?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Try some of the whitewater rafting companies that run the Canyon, or support private boaters in the Canyon. They run shuttles from Lees Ferry to Diamond Creek frequently. Some drop off and pick up passengers who hike in/out at the South Rim. Most companies operate out of Flagstaff.

Maybe you can talk them into going out of their way. Or they might refer you to private shuttlers.

Don’t know which companies are doing that now – search engines are your friend.

— Rex

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

When does the North Rim usually shut down for snowfall?  I don’t know, but I’d look into it.  October seems potentially on the edge of the season.

There are non-Uber drivers who advertise on every city’s Craigslist page. Maybe you could agree on terms in advance?

R2R has always struck me as one of the most extreme ratios of driving distance / hiking distance.

I’ve skipped the shuttle, permit and overnight gear by bouncing it in a day (R2R2R), but I was 1/3 my age then.  I have seen senior BPLers in better shape than me do it, though, on a day I only went 30 miles.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Typically the North Rim and water along the N Kaibab shut down after the 3rd weekend in October. Don’t know about this year with Covid and all.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Also note –

“SR 64 between Cameron, AZ & the East Entrance to the park at Desert View, is CLOSED. You must use the S. Entrance near the town of Tusayan, AZ to enter & exit the park. ”

Your return would have to be be routed through Flagstaff, which complicates things a bit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools