Topic

Grand Canyon Permit – Less than 4 months in advance?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Grand Canyon Permit – Less than 4 months in advance?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

Thinking of taking my teenage son for a Grand Canyon trip during spring break of this year.  (March 21st-29th, 2020).  Route I’m considering is Tanner to Escalante to New Hance to Grandview.   However, I’ve missed the “Earliest Consideration Period” for a March hike, where I should have submitted my permit application about a month ago.  So, my question is this:

I know that nobody can guarantee anything, but I’m wondering if I should still submit the application?  Or am I almost guaranteed to be denied, this late?   If I’m wasting my time, three months in advance, I can pivot and look into other trip ideas.

Thanks, Bryan

Mike Anderson
    BPL Member

@makula11

Locale: (null)

Yes, I think there is a good chance that you can still get your permit. The off main corridor trails are a little easier to get a permit.

Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

Thanks Mike and, also to the people that responded privately.  I wanted to respond to this.  My permit was indeed rejected.  I gave them three possible start dates for this route, and was open to doing the route in reverse and with slightly different campsites.  But the backcountry office said “THANK YOU for your interest in the Grand Canyon! Unfortunately, your request for a permit (startdate in MAR) has been denied because space is not available for any of the itineraries or variations you requested. . . ”

I’ll be sure to get my permit in earlier, next year.  For this year, I think we will look at either Big Bend NP, or the Gila Wilderness.

Thanks all!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools