Topic

Grand Canyon Late November: South Rim to Cottonwood & Back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Grand Canyon Late November: South Rim to Cottonwood & Back

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John A
    BPL Member

@jallen21750-2

Locale: Texas, USA

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I’ve got backcountry & camping permits x2 for an Out & Back at a holiday pace… I’m in my early 50’s, in pretty good shape, & looking forward to the adventure.  It’s on my bucket list & good conversation and encouragement would make it all the better…  The Plan:</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>November 25: South Kaibab to Bright Angel</p>
    November 26: Bright Angel to Cottonwood

November 27: Cottonwood to Bright Angel

November 28: Bright Angel to Indian Garden

November 29: Hike Out at South Rim

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Your first day is a hard hike for me.  Difficult to train the quads for 5400 ft of descent in a few hours, especially in Texas.  The rest will be leisurely.  Take a day hike up Clear Creek from Bright Angel.  See the graineries and Plateau Point at Indian Garden, branch to Ribbon Falls.  Might want to consider microspikes or similar, they make snow or ice on the trail much easier. There is snow/ice at the top in November on occasion. Since the GC is all about Geology, i like “Hiking Grand Canyon’s Geology”.  Heavy, but you might want to take it along, you will have time to read with your schedule. You could donate it to the little library at Indian Garden if you don’t want to haul it all the way out. The meals at Phantom ranch are just ok if you can get reservations.  I like the breakfasts, but the steak dinner is marginal.  The conversation at the tables is better than the food.  Spend a day up on the rim seeing the sights.  Have fun.

John A
    BPL Member

@jallen21750-2

Locale: Texas, USA

Great insight!  Thx!  I’m hoping it will be all that I expect it to be. I’ve been an outdoorsman all my life, hunting, fishing, ranching, but I’ve just recently experienced hiking/backpacking as another way to enjoy life.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools