Topic

GR 5-Lake Geneva to Nice-September 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning GR 5-Lake Geneva to Nice-September 2019

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    . traleshotz
    BPL Member

@traleshotz

Locale: Oregon PNW

I’m in the early planning stages of this trip. I bought the Paddy Dillon trail guide 2016 version. Did some research on-line. Did a search on this forum and some of you have done at least parts of this trail. I’m pretty locked in for the month of September. In general terms is weather going to be an issue? Apparently a-lot of refuges and facilities close in mid September. Could I just plan on camping/bivouacking? What is the difference between camping and bivouacking? I’m not thrilled with the idea of sleeping with strangers ’cause I snore loudly and flop around a-lot. How often could I expect to avoid that?  I guess that will do for now, thanks in advance.

OBTW my hiking background includes 3 months on the PCT(Walker Pass to Cascade Locks), Colorado Trail hike, Wonderland Trail, a few multi-day hikes in the Winds, and a bunch of hiking out of Portland OR. No hiking experience in Europe. Z-packs quilt and Arc Haul pack with Six-Moon Skyscape X is the foundation of my gear set.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

The difference between camping and bivouacking is basically the length of time you spend some place. Generally, settling down at dusk and getting up and dawn is bivouacking. But beware, the rules vary where you are; there are some places where even bivouacking is not allowed. I’ve not been on the 5 in recent years but generally from what I have read one can stay outside in a tent next to most any refuge. I am not a fan of the dorms, but for a few wet nights on the GR20 I did give in. When the refuges are closed your major consideration will be food planning.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools