Topic

Gps help(64st vs Foretrex 601)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
quinton bryant BPL Member
PostedAug 21, 2019 at 10:43 am

I want a new gps for hiking hunting and fishing trips.Ido carry my phone and have a old in reach for times when needed,i do carry maps but not always.I have narrowed my choices down to these two only.please share your thoughts on these.I am not using my phone as my main gps.

Thanks

Bruce Tolley BPL Member
PostedAug 26, 2019 at 4:28 pm

@ Quinton, I have no experience with the two models mentioned. There are lots of reviews on the web of most electronics.  But I think the most useful thing you could do would be to write down the 10 things you want the GPS to do and go to a bricks and mortar store and try out the models and see if they can do what you need. After that, battery life and the ability to recharge from a USB battery would be at the top of my list. Second, I have heard rumors that the latest model of the Garmin InReach will include full Garmin GPS functionality.

It might be time to upgrade your InReach for about the same cost as a new GPS and then just carry one device.  I have the older model Garmin InReach and since I also use paper maps especially in the UK and Switzerland, its main limitation in my mind is its VERY limited support for map grids and map datums and its bias towards displaying latitude and longitude.

Chuck Susie BPL Member
PostedAug 26, 2019 at 10:58 pm

The 64 ST has a quad helix antenna… best in class reception w/ maps.   The Foretrex 601 adds Galileo satellites but no maps.   I own a Foretrex 401 and it works great.

You’ve picked two very good choices.

 

 

quinton bryant BPL Member
PostedAug 27, 2019 at 11:00 am

<p style=”text-align: left;”>The mini is very tempting because from what I understand it does the same thing as the foretrex with extras ,but the 64 is tempting because of the mapping.</p>

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...