Topic

goTenna versus inReach SE

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) goTenna versus inReach SE

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keith Fultz
    BPL Member

@in4life6

Locale: Central Valley, CA

I just saw some advertising regarding goTenna and was wondering if any BPL person has had any experience with it and how it compares to DeLorme inReach SE.

http://www.gotenna.com/

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Keith,

Gotenna is a 2 watt RF transceiver with a transmission range of 2-6 miles. You can only text with another goTenna within the specified range.

Delorme InReach relays with satellites for world-wide range.

Keith Fultz
    BPL Member

@in4life6

Locale: Central Valley, CA

Thanks

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

The tenna system relays as well doesn’t it – but until there was critical mass of the product?

InReach is fantastic. Just had a trip to the PNW where I was often out of cell phone range but could reassure my wife that all was ok. I know that’s not the dream of disconnecting but in the modern world people have got used to constant communication.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Richie,

You said, “The GoTenna system relays as well doesn’t it”?

No. There are products like FireChat and Serval Mesh, which operate through a wireless mesh network.

That’s something GoTenna can’t do because it uses the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) spectrum range of 151 – 154 MHz. The propagation characteristics of this frequency range are optimal for the application. The radio waves can turn corners; go over mountains; and they interact with matter well. The most common use of MURS spectrum is for short-distance, two-way communications using small, portable hand-held radios that function similar to walkie-talkies. FCC regulations prohibit anyone from using store and forward in this frequency range.

That means if you have three people with a GoTenna, and each person only has one other person in their range, you won’t be able to use the person in between as a relay to extend your range. But the GoTenna is more reliable in delivering messages and offers greater privacy than FireChat or Serval Mesh.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools