Topic

Gossamer Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

Besides a pair of LT3 and LT4 trekking poles it has been years since I used one of their packs or shelters.
    Currently their shelters are one sale and am interested in how their current quality of construction compares to the likes of MLD?

I normally go with MLD but am looking for a solo catenary cut tarp and for the price and weight ($118; 7.5oz including lines) the GG is very tempting.

Thanks

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

My perception based on owning two Kumos is that GG’s design is excellent but their materials and construction are subpar compared to MLD. That said, they seem to last many people for an entire thruhike so they are likely adequate. Their prices are excellent, particularly when there is a sale.

Oneil
    BPL Member

@oneil

Locale: Sierra Foothills

I’ll posit that GG design is excellent, construction also excellent, and materials predictably light and perhaps delicate. YMMV.

This is for packs. I’m generally satisfied.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I use their packs and love them. Mariposa, Kumo, Murmur hyperlight and G4-20. Also their older style summit and day packs. Friend of mine uses one of their tents and I have never heard him complain at all about it.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Thanks for the replies. Decided to order the Solo Tarp while it was on sale.

Paul Leavitt
    BPL Member

@paleavitt1

Locale: Midwest

I have the Duo tarp and it has held up well and is very light.  Good luck

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I have the older spinnaker version of The One, and it also has held up very well and looks very well made.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Many moons ago I had a version of The One and their Squall Classic both in Spinnaker. For some reason I have fond memories of that fabric.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

My wife and I have 2 Mariposas and a Gorilla pack.  They are excellent.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would agree that MLD construction has had an edge over GG, but that shouldn’t take away from GG.  I have been delighted with everything I have purchased from them.  I am with dk and turley… I really like the spinnaker they used to use. For me, it was spinnshelter.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I wish they would re stock some packs soon… Small and mediums…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

@turley

I spent many nights under a Gossamer Gear SpinShelter made out of Spinnaker and have good memories of it as well.  At the time it was the lightest full coverage shelter available.  I’s been years since I’ve used it, but I can’t bring myself to part with it.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

I thought Spinnaker was a nice alternative to Silnylon and DCF. It didn’t have the hydrostatic head of DCF, nor as light….but it didn’t stretch much as I recall, was substantially cheaper, and liked how it compressed and packed. I wish they still had something like it vs just lighter weight silnylon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools