Topic

Gossamer Gear The Two

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear The Two

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Well if the bathtub collects condensation it also keeps water out.  Very impressed with the fabric.

So I got rain on a recent trip and well I didn’t make the best decision on location. It rained more than what was in the forecast but I set up on a flat spot which didn’t drain.  I woke up to my wife saying we are in a puddle. DOH! I touched the floor and it wiggled like a water bed…..

and there the polycro laid after moving the tent…. lol   

No water made it in.

I did notice that theres a spray/mist when large drops hit the tent on the canopy though

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yeah, waterproof bathtub groundsheets can be a lot of fun when you find yourself camped in 50 mm of water. Not so bad when you find out that the fabric really IS waterproof.

Been there, done that, was entertained.

Cheers

Gary Pikovsky
    BPL Member

@gosha007

Locale: New Hampshire White Mountains

The second reason I got The Two to replace the Duplex was for photography. After playing with cuben for years, it’s just not very photogenic because of how reflective it is. The grayish bluish color of the Duplex is also not my fav. But – check out how the GG Two looks like at night!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

That’s awesome. Nice shot.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Gary, that might be one of the most unique reasons for choosing a tent. :)

Nice pic!!

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Gary, that might be one of the most unique reasons for choosing a tent. :)

Nice pic!!

lol, also not a criterion for me, although I do like a warmer color in the winter when given a choice.

Andy, that’s a darn good testimonial for the integrity of the floor!

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

As a cheaper alternative to a Duplex I always recommend the SMD Haven. Unfortunately they don’t offer the cuben fiber version anymore. I have one with he Serenity innernet for 2p trips. Reasons why (on paper) I think it’s a better option than The Two.

-Less expensive, $350 vs $389

More versatile because you have a tarp and an innernet.

-1 person can carry the tarp and 1 person can carry the innernet which splits up the load.

-Double wall so in theory less condensation.

-Can use tarp only for UL set ups.

-Can use just the innernet for warmer but buggy nights. Star watching.

-Almost the same weight. 18oz tarp. 16 oz inner. Weight may be the same because you don’t need a ground sheet because the floor is heavier than The Two. It feels like 20 or 30d. My inner actually weighes 14.76 oz. I have a 1p inner that was 1 oz under spec so this may be the norm.

I love mine for 2p trips. Ymmv

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

I’m also curious where the condensation that forms inside the tent goes. On the Duplex the mesh extends out beyond the bathtub so it can drip through and onto the ground. Does it literally just drip into the bathtub floor of The Two?

edit- This picture of The One shows a notch in the bathtub floor actually. I’m hoping that is on both ends of the tent. Anyone who owns The One or The Two able to confirm that it is on both sides of each model?

Max S
    Spectator

@stickerbumper

I can only speak for the one, but the two is basically just a bigger version of the one.

There are mesh panels for ventilation at the head and toe end that would allow for the majority of condensation running down the walls to exit. Probably not as efficient as the duplex though.

However, I want to mention that I had the one out several times in some terrible condensation conditions (3-5h High Uinta afternoon thunderstorms followed by cold clear nights near lakes with a wet shelter + gear make pretty good test conditions)  and so far the condensation was never so bad that it would reach runoff. I had to wipe down the condensation in the morning, but so had my friend who carried a Z-packs solplex on that trip.

Bonus, with a regular size sleeping bag it is impossible to touch the head or toe end of the shelter.

*EDIT: Because the nights were clear, I was able to open the vestibule completely which allowed for decent airflow and certainly helped with managing condensation. Campsites were under trees. On each trip we both sat out the afternoon storm in our tents before continuing the hike. Vestibules were completely or partially closed due to the severeness of the weather. Both of us had some, but not terrible condensation during the storm.

Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

I’m glad to see this discussion about The Two since, it being a relatively new tent, there isn’t much info out there.

Along with the concerns about condensation running down the roof and into the bathtub, I am concerned about there being absolutely NO provisions for ventilation other than under the lower edges of the tarp. My experiences with my TT Double Rainbow, which has two useless apex vents (they suffer from ED), has convinced me that just having ventilation around the lower edges of a tarp, unless you have a pitch higher than possible with integrated floor tarp/tents, is not sufficient for adequate ventilation on those nights when you can’t have the vestibule doors open (either too cold or too stormy).

Anyway, has anyone modified The Two to add any ventilation? I was thinking you could cut the seam and add mesh between the top of the bathtub walls and the roof at the head and foot ends. (I am almost positive that The Two does NOT have these vents like The One does, after watching quite a few videos). Or more extreme of a mod, you could add a vent like a dormer window at each of the mid-panel tie-outs, and attach the guy line to the edge of the vent cover to pull it out and open.

If no one has good experiences adding functional ventilation to The Two, I think I’ll get a SMD Haven Tarp and inner instead. My biggest concern with it is that the floor is only 44” wide – pretty small for two adults.

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

I have the DCF Haven (discontinued) and use it with my wife. Definitely want to be comfortable with the person you’re sharing it with!

We manage to put a wide neoair and a regular neoair (both mummy/tapered) in it. The great thing though is the length… 114″ long tarp with an offset peak means headroom (and footroom) for days.

KEVIN W
    Spectator

@kwilson13

Anyone using the Two have a recent update on it?

KEVIN W
    Spectator

@kwilson13

The Two is now for sale again for $311.20 – seems like a great price

https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/shelters/products/the-two

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools