Topic

goretex socks as vapor barrier?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) goretex socks as vapor barrier?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Heading to a football game. It’s going to be about -5c. I have some goretex socks, I assume they can be used as a vapor barrier, but do I put them on next to skin or in the middle? I was going to wear light darn tough hiker socks then possum down socks over that. I don’t think I could get thicker with my boots.

Any insight appreciated!

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Gore-Tex by design isn’t a vapor barrier.

You could use plastic bags

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

the socks were too bulky to try. Man my toes were cold, everything else super warm. Should probably just get boots with liners but they would rarely get used.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Bread bags

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use US Divers brand 3 mm closed cell neoprene divers sox for a VBL. These are worn over a thin polyester liner sock. I take one pair of liner socks for each day of winter camping.

I prefer US Divers brand B/C they have factory sealed seams and Right and Left foot shapes for no bunching up at the toes. There is NO other VBL sock that works as well plus it insulates. With the 3 mm thickness plus a thin liner sock you can use your standard hiking boots just as you would with mid weight hiking socks.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I wouldn’t expect gore-tex to be an effective vapor barrier.  As noted the cheapest is bread bags.  Small roasting bags also work well and are more durable.  I typically recommend the thinnest liner you can find, the barrier, and the insulation.  I have a few notes and pointers to other people’s observations about https://verber.com/vapor-barrier/

–mark

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Large oven bags not turkey bags work great and are more durable in footwear for walking than bread bags. Cheap too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools