Topic

GoPro 5

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography GoPro 5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Just FYI, the GoPro 5 is out and sounds promising.  Specifically the addition of image stabilization.  I brought a GoPro 4 and a sony rx100 on the JMT this year.  90% of my pics and video were on the GoPro because it was mounted on my shoulder strap and easier to access.  It’s far from perfect…shakey footage with fisheye distortion.  Im hoping the 5’s image stabilization and reduced lens distortion is good enough to warrant ditching the rx100 and saving myself 10+ oz.

I’d miss the night shots though…

Megan P
    BPL Member

@meganpetruccelli

Locale: San Francisco

Same here.  I carried an RX100 and an iPhone.  Most of the shots were on my iphone bc it was easier.  I bought a GoPro 4 to see if I could consolodate and not carry all of that, but now I carry a gopro, the sony, and my iphone. Hopefully someday! Somedayyyyyyyyy

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The digital stabilization sounds great but at a loss to image quality.  From what they describe, it sounds like the same thing you can do in post.  I could be wrong.  I may go with a Sony action cam this time around for their optical image stabilization.  Maybe I won’t.  We’ll see as the latest GoPro picture quality looks pretty sharp.

By far the best updateI see that makes it worth the upgrade is that it’s waterproof without additional housing, which is why I bought the first generation Session.  I like that I can use it fishing, kayaking, in the rain, whatevs and still have decent audio.  Close second is the built in screen.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools