Topic

Good “Mid” on the market?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Good “Mid” on the market?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

What is a good 2-3 person mid shelter on the market? Specifically not a cuben shelter.
    What do you like about it? What are the drawbacks?
    I had a Seek Outside BT2  and liked it but I don’t know if buying a new one is worth the price  ( would be the Silvertip).  Ebay has a Golite Hex3 but over 500 dollars. I am pretty ignorant on shelters since I went the hammock route for many years but I want to backpack with my dog and a tipi/mid is what works best for that imo.
    Thanks for any help.

ps. Not ultralight here; I don’t do any really long trips that warrant cutting way back on weight. Basically two nights to a week max.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I’d love to grab a BT2 at some point.

I have not looked in a while but I think MLD mids are about the best as far a durability and quality. I have a Chinese made knock off that works but I probably wouldn’t trust it on a major expedition. I just don’t know how well it will hold up over time. MLD has had years to work out the little details like stitch patterns that might be the difference a tarp failing and surviving a storm.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Lots of options abound, but if you’re not counting grams and don’t want to spend a fortune, Luxe Outdoor’s Hexpeak XL (3 person) is worth a look. Configurable for winter or more general use. Lots of inner options, too.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Luke MLD does make some great shelters . A bit more than I can spend right now but definitively good options.

@Alex
    I am not familiar with Luxe Outdoors but looking at their shelters just now they might just be what I am looking for. Thanks

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

You’re welcome. I don’t have any personal experience with them, but from the research I did a few years ago when looking for a mid, I’d say they’re legit. I did own the Golite Hex3 (Shangri la 3) and really liked the hexagon shape. Reviews seem favorable and their 2 person model seems really popular across the pond.

Here’s a link to the actual manufacture’s website, which is suprisingly hard to find with a web search: http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=1436&selfpath=/173

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^ I still had Christmas coming and so we went ahead and got the 3P Hexpeak XL. A good deal and should work well with our dog.
    Thanks again. My first trip should be over spring break so I will report back then, hopefully with pictures. I will set it up before then hopefully at least for an overnighter up the hill into Big Basin.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools