Topic

Golite waterproof jacket claims 67k moisture permeability ?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite waterproof jacket claims 67k moisture permeability ?!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris R
    Spectator

@chrisray

I’m totally new here and this is my first post. I’m prepping for a trip to do the trans Catalina trail next month and came across an ad for 75% off site wide at golite while looking for some clothing options so I thought I’d take a look.

They have a jacket called Pinnacle Pro Jacket that claims to be 20K Waterproof and 67K moisture permeability. Is this right 67k moisture permeability? I’ve been reading and it seems that anything higher than 20k is good so it seems a little to good. From what I understand moisture permeability is how breathable it is and anything over 20k is really good for a waterproof jacket.

Am I understanding this correctly?Has anyone had any experience with this jacket or companies products? Seems to good to be true at around $65 after the sale price.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

prob junk rain jacket that is heavy.

Chris R
    Spectator

@chrisray

It’s a three layer jacket and weighs 12.3 oz.

Here is the link: https://golite.com/collections/mens/products/mens-pinnacle-pro-jacket

Not on sale it’s $250

Chris R
    Spectator

@chrisray

Looks like golite the brand has been around for a long time but folded several years ago and this company started it back up around 2018 using more sustainable materials made from recycled water bottles.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

The jacket listing does not say what standard was used.  However, it was probably JIS L1099 B1. That standard produces very high numbers that do not reflect what could be achieved in real life use. For that standard, 20000 is poor.  80000 is great and their rating is good.  Although good, if you are working hard, it will not get rid of sweat as fast as you can produce it.

Chris R
    Spectator

@chrisray

I reached out to golite and this was their response in regards to testing standards…

”We use the JIS grades for waterproof and permeability. W/P JIS-L 1092 B and MOIS / P JIS-L1099 – B-1”

Is this a reputable standard?

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

JIS L 1092-B is a hydrostatic head pressure test for high pressure.  This test is used when measuring water proofness of a light weight fabric that will burst before leaking.  A screen is placed over the fabric to provide added reinforcement during the test.  The problem with using a reinforcement screen is that the results are not comparable to garments tested without the reinforcement.    The numbers will be artificially high and don’t necessarily related to performance in the field.  That jacket is rated for 20000mm.  For that level, they probably used the 1092-A test which is does not use reinforcement.  20000mm should be waterproof in most conditions that you would use this type of garment.  If they had to use the B version for this jacket, I expect it would be a fairly fragile fabric.  JIS L1099 B1 is the test I mentioned above as being what was used to produce the MVTR number that is cited.  Both are very widely used standards.

Chris R
    Spectator

@chrisray

Thanks for all the great info!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools