Topic

glow wire uses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) glow wire uses

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

i know plenty use glow wire or similar for guy lines but does anyone use it for lanyards or anything in case you drop something at night and then it’s easier to find? or even if you don’t drop it but in your tent/tarp at night and need help finding it?

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I do – whenever a zipper pull breaks on a garment, I replace it with glow in the dark cord.  I use it pretty much for all my cord uses.  Having dropped things in the dark, I find it helpful to find them.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I’ve added Night Glow Zipper Pulls to a bunch of zippers. Much easier to find after dark, and they recharge enough after brief headlamp illumination to be useful. Not cheap, but MSR stuff rarely is. Sometimes on sale at REI.

Never thought of adding them to droppable things. Hmmm …

— Rex

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I try to buy paring knives and Victorinox Classic pocket knives with bright colored handles, but for drab ones I put fluorescent or reflective 2 mm cord through its lanyard ring.  That not only helps finding it should it fall to the ground but it also makes it easier to find in a ditty bag or at the bottom of a pack compartment.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I also put a piece of reflective tape on just about anything it will stick to – trekking poles, etc.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

I have a tritium capsule clipped to my headlamp for winter camping. Glows a lovely pink colour.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I use the Glowwire for my keys even though they are secured in my FAK

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools