Topic

Gloves for keeping sun off hands?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gloves for keeping sun off hands?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

What light and creative (aka, inexpensive) gloves are you using to keep the sun off your hands?

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

OR has sun gloves

Glacier Gloves

Sun Day Afternoons has some that go down your wrist

Mountain Hardward had a nice lightweight sunglove, but is now discontinued. These are what I still use, as they just won’t wear out no matter how much I abuse them.

Have them all.  they are all inexpensive enough that looking for a DIY cheaper option seemed pointless

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Sun grubbies and now another brand that I forget the name of. Really crucial if you use poles. And they give good mosquito protection, especially if you spritz them with deet.

Jim Morrison
    Spectator

@pliny

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use sunblock on the backs of my hands and a long sleeve UV shirt that covers the back of my hand, mostly.   Latex gloves would work, but might not be comfortable in a warm climate.

Or you could put your hands in your pockets, but you should keep them out of pockets in case you fall.

matthew k

@matthewkphx

+1 Glacier Gloves

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I’ve been using OR’s fingerless Chroma gloves for many years and absolutely love them. Being fingerless, I’ve never felt any loss of dexterity while wearing them. Even after long days, I’ve sometimes forget I’m wearing them.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wear fingerless gloves when using trekking poles and that protects the backs of my hands. My fingers don’t get sunburned. I get Grease Monkey mechanics fingerless gloves from the hardware store and use the same for cycling. They have a full back panel where many cycling gloves are ventilated and they often have too much padding. About $15 a pair.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I will buy another pair as soon as they wear out. I love them

https://www.rei.com/product/117105/outdoor-research-activeice-spectrum-sun-gloves

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Another vote for Glacier Gloves. Have 2,000+ miles-using trekking poles-on mine and they are going strong.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

To add: Coolibar, Sun Precautions Solumbra, and Palm Free. I haven’t worn sun gloves but have looked into them and they probably will be my next gear purchase. I now have an umbrella that I clip to my shoulder strap to shade my head and no longer wear a hat, and I love the open-air feeling; my concern about sun gloves is similar that I will feel hot and constrained, so I am particularly interested in the Palm Free and Solumbra.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I ordered a brand x pair from ebay.  Came to $3.45 with shipping and tax.

Will evaluate them and report back.

Suggest you postpone all purchases until you receive my evaluation.

Estimated arrival date is Oct 3.  I assume that’s 2021.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Try cotton inspection gloves. You can get several pairs for a few dollars from Ali Express. Cut out the index finger on the right hand if you want to use a smart phone.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Buff makes (or made) some fingerless sun gloves. I have a pair and love them.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I’ve used these for a while. Work fine.

Kelly

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’ve been using the OR Chroma sun glove for the past 5 years and they still look like new…very satisfied with them. Looks like they have since changed the material to something called “ActiveIce”.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I had a pair of cheapie fingerless gloves from REI that were 100% polyester that I really liked.  They looked pretty rough but were still functional, but when I was getting ready for my Sierra trip last year I couldn’t find them so I bought some Glacier Gloves from Amazon (needed the 2 day shipping).  The Glacier Gloves are thicker and have some spandex content so I don’t like them as well.  I’m hoping my old REI gloves turn up before my WRR trip this year, but I’m not holding my breath.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I already use Simm’s sun gloves for fishing so they do double duty for my hands while hiking.   I like the fact that they don’t have a palm (feels better on my hiking poles… and my fly rod :)).   I’ve tried a variety of the other gloves (including the OR gloves), but prefer the Simm’s sun gloves.   The material of the Simm’s gloves is much thinner/cooler than the OR material which may be a good or bad thing (cooler but may be less durable).

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/gear/gloves/solarflex-no-finger-sunglove-s19

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?transId=2312964227007&itemId=174096055318&qu=1&gu=1&ul_noapp=true

Gloves arrived in less than a month instead of the estimated delivery of about 4 months.

Weight = .6 ounces.

Wore them walking in temps near 90 degrees F.  Felt cool enough.

Fragile but sewn about as well as material this light can be sewn.  Might order a few more pairs so I can replace them when they bite the dust.  Stretchy fit allows me to operate computer keyboard while wearing them.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Daryl, only you can see your transaction info at that URL.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I’ve been very happy with Glacier Gloves. I tried the REI sun gloves and they were quickly trashed. I’ve been using the Glacier Gloves for day hiking, bushwhacking, rock scrambling, and backpacking and they are going strong.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

I got about a dozen hours of wear from my cheap Chinese gloves before this seam opened up.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: Western US

I went with REI brand this year, thin enough to act as a baselayer glove too … almost full finger length, and in a kind of gray camo.

Am happy with purchase, but may get complete enclosed finger next year, maybe some reinforcements (as part of the glove or maybe adding my own) … as breaking a fall really slit my exposed skin.

lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I don’t fully understand the phenomenon of sun gloves. Are people not bringing sunscreen at all? Even when I’m wearing a hat the reflection of the sun off rocks and such over a long day in the high country means I still need to bring sunscreen for my face, and then it just takes a little dab on each hand and I’m covered. My theory has been that it’s a need invented by the gear companies, but perhaps I’m missing something…

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Lisa,

I don’t use sunscreen at all.

Can’t speak for others but I sweat a lot and worry that the sun screen would need to be reapplied too often to be convenient.

My equipment list calls for sun/bug gloves. So my other goal is mosquito protection. don’t like using mosquito juice either.

And I fear that sunscreen with a scent is a bear attractant.

I’ve been relying on a broad brimmed hat for face protection but your post makes me think I should reevaluate that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!