Topic

Glacier Peak Wilderness Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Glacier Peak Wilderness Loop

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Planning a 9 day circumnavigation of Glacier Peak in Washington, beginning 9/1 and looking for update of general condition to expect. Ice melt, stream runoff, high and low temps, bugs, fires, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks – Russ

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

That’s a great hike!

fires in September are pretty common. But the PNW had a wet winter. Best of luck.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

There is a fire to the east of Glacier Peak, and where they’ve closed the PCT is where I’m turning, so not an issue yet….you may see me back on this forum in a week or so looking for an alternative.

What are typical high and low temps around the 1st of September?

Thanks – Russ

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

I was in Stehekin in early september 2 (3?) years ago and the temps went over 100 degrees. That’s not typical. My experience is ancient–I was up there a lot forty years ago. Temps were usually in the 70s and 80’s as I recall. But I also saw that the glaciers in the mountains were much reduced from those long ago years. Hopefully someone closer will respond soon. I’m in California now.

p.s. smoke from a fairly distant fire can be horrible, so check air quality too. I’m sure you know this.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Thanks for the comments. Hope I don’t see temps like that!

Yep… smoke is no fun. I was in SEKI summer before last and conditions changed rapidly…like an eclipse. I don’t want a repeat of that experience.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Are you driving out here or flying and getting a rental?

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Flying and rental.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

p.s. you can access the loop by taking the boat at Chelan and getting off at Holden Village.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Russ, I live in Arlington, which is about an hour north of Seattle (I’m assuming you’re flying into Seattle), and west of Glacier. You’re welcome to crash at my house day before and day after to save on hotel costs and get a hot shower if you want. You just gotta like dogs (a dog), not mind tons of dog hair everywhere (she’s a Siberian mix, she sheds 24/7/365), and not mind sleeping on one of those big air mattresses.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Thank you for the offer Humorless! That is incredibly nice of you. I have accommodations with a friend’s brother in West Seattle and a compressed schedule getting to and from the trail. Awfully generous of you though and I appreciate it. Thanks – Russ

Alex V
    BPL Member

@valleyjo

Locale: North Cascades

Bring rain gear including mitts. It can dump in September. Some of those trails can be overgrown so personally I’d wear pants. Resupply might be tough without support but you could go out of your way to get to Stehekin and pick up a box. There’s a shuttle off the PCT. Bugs should be minimal in Sept. hopefully no fires as stated we had a pretty wet spring and much higher snowpack than average. Daylight hours are noticeably shorter in Sept so be ready for that. In general for PNW I think Sept is an underrated time, esp the first half of the month

many beautiful locations along that route you will have a blast.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Alex – Thanks for the insight. Especially along Indian Creek I’m trying to avoid bleeding and scarring, so currently  praying about the pants.

Any idea about the temp range? Planning a 20-30 degree quilt and trying to determine headwear and other accessories.

Thanks – Russ

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

While not perfect for your trip, you might find this link somewhat helpful:

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/glacier-peak

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Well…. looks like the White River Trailhead is closed due to a nearby forest fire. This trip looking increasingly unlikely. Might need to figure out a Plan B. Rats!

Alex V
    BPL Member

@valleyjo

Locale: North Cascades

I would look at using the trinity trailhead or north fork Sauk if white river is still closed. Personally I would totally go 30 deg quilt and supplement with clothes I already had if needed.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Thanks for the advice Alex, on all counts. I meant to respond prior to the trip and got distracted.  I did use a 30 degree quilt and only really got chilled camping near Lewis Creel Falls, which served as a sort of a natural air conditioner. Also, I did start counterclockwise at the Trinity Trailhead, whch was really perfect. Starting clockwise on the Indian Creek Trail would have be demoralizing! Mostly clear days and a few unfortunate smokey ones. All in all a wonderful trip and I’ll provide a report soon. Currently in Seattle and headed back to Charlotte tonight. Thanks to all that responded to my questions!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Looking forward to the trip report; I was on Baker over the weekend and the smoke was so thick that we couldn’t see Glacier…or much of anything else.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools