Topic

Glacier NP permits for 2016 (important news)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Glacier NP permits for 2016 (important news)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Over the past few years summer backcountry permits in Glacier National Park have been increasingly problematic.  An antiquated mail-in reservation system has combined with a sharp increase in applications to create a situation which was no good for anyone.  Prospective backpackers were stuck waiting until well into May or even early June to receive confirmation or denial of their permit, and permit rangers had to deal with 1500+ paper applications.  On April 16th all those sheets of paper were mixed, put into a random stack, and processed by hand beginning at the top.  Thankfully that system will be no more.

Instead, this year applications will be online.  Reservations will be accepted starting March 15th, and processed beginning that date on a rolling basis (something I confirmed this morning in a chat with the chief permit officer).  Fees will also increase; there will be a 10 dollar non-refundable processing fee, a 30 dollar application fee which will only be charged if you are granted your request, and a 7 dollar per person/night fee (up from 5 dollars in years past).

Brief lesson: if you want a prime trip in the busy season (early Jule through mid Sept) submit your application on March 15!  I’m assuming plenty of folks will get caught out by this change, and that reservations for the best sites at the best times will fill up very quickly indeed.  Some slots are retained for walk-in, but that can be a dicey prospect.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Woot, that’s a welcome change for me. I <3 online systems

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

$47 to spend a night in Glacier sleeping on dirt? That’s rough.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

To be clear, the 10 dollar processing fee is new, the 30 dollar app fee has been in place for quite some time.  Expensive, especially for larger groups, but while I think this might make Glacier the most expensive backpacking park it’s not that far ahead of others, like Grand Canyon.  The no-show rate in the backcountry is already pretty high, perhaps fees keep it from being higher.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I noticed the prices seemed a little higher than when I was there last. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt though that they’re using the fees to pay for the website changes. A permit reservation system doesn’t sound like a standard BlogSpot.com template so I assume its a little more expensive.

Hiking is still one of the cheapest vacations around except visiting grandpa.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Sounds great to me.  Online is MUCH better.

Thanks for the update David.

I have no problems with the fees. Paying fees directly to the parks helps them keep things open and maintained.  Plus this way the people that use it, actually pay for it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools