Topic

Glacier National Park MT – mid/late August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Glacier National Park MT – mid/late August

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jim B
    BPL Member

@jimbentley

I submitted request for 6 permits for mid and late August in GNP for two trail itineraries.
    <p style=”margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;”>Itinerary 1: MAN-MOJ-KOO-BRO-BOW</p>
    <p style=”margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;”>Itinerary 2: MAN-GRN-FIF-KOO-BRO-BOW</p>
    <p style=”margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;”></p>
    <p style=”margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;”>If we’re unable to get permits for either route, I’m a little leery of having 6 of us rolling the dice on getting permits to hike there.</p>
    <p style=”margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;”></p>
    <p style=”margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;”>What backup options would you recommend as Plan B, Plan C, etc.?</p>

Jim B
    BPL Member

@jimbentley

Wow, can you tell I’m a “first time caller, long time listener” with all the html in my above post?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

“What backup options would you recommend as Plan B, Plan C, etc.?”

It is improbable, though not impossible, that you’ll get those as a walkin.  A group of 6 will require two sites, which does make it much less likely.

If possible, boot two people.  ;)

Monitor the walkin availability chart in the days before you arrive, and get in line at Apgar early (0500) the day before you want to start to maximize your chances.

Probably good to have a back up in the Bob, which doesn’t require a permit.

Jim B
    BPL Member

@jimbentley

Thanks, David. We didn’t get the routes (no surprise).

Either have to push to September or completely roll the dice on walk-in options. Last year I scored amazing JMT permits but applied late for GNP this year. My mistake.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

GNP is awesome in September, it’s my favorite time of year to visit the park.

After Labor Day, the crowds thin significantly, the willows and alpine meadows are in full fall colors (beautiful), the weather is stable (few t-storms, winter not yet here – in most years), and more grizzly and other large animal activity/sightings.

And you shouldn’t have to boot two people ;)

Jim B
    BPL Member

@jimbentley

That’s what I guessed; so much availability in Sept means fewer folks. But, if we went to Sept, one of our diehard buddies had to bail.

I was able to reserve LYN-UPN-BEA-COA-PAR for late August. We’ll see if we get something on the North Trail via walk-in. Regardless, I can’t wait.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools