Topic

Giving up on XTherm due to back pain, any recommended alternatives?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Giving up on XTherm due to back pain, any recommended alternatives?

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

You are selling the EtherLight pretty well. The tough thing with pads is that you really need to shell out a lot of money and use it for a few nights to really know, so you’re kinda past the return point if it doesn’t work. Makes it a bit scary. Then again, maybe I can pick one up and classify it as a business expense as part of testing out my tents :)

I’ve popped two SynMat baffles but one was my fault (drying it too close to a fire and the glue heated up). Popped a baffle in a NeoAir Uberlight this year. Never a hole in my Xtherm but some in the XLite over 3-4 years, and then 1 or 2 in the Uberlight in it’s first year. Quite a few pinholes in the Synmats too – perhaps halfway between the XLite and Uberlight.

Right now I’m not sure if the next step in “getting soft” is a thicker pad, or a wider pad. Can’t really do both because 22oz is just too much.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

I got the Women’s Insulated Long. And yes, it’s heavy! I really wish I could sleep on the NeoAir but I hate it with a passion – too noisy, too narrow and too unstable.

The women’s is a bit warmer than the men’s model @ 3.5 R and has a lozenge shape that I guess is supposed to accomodate the female hip. But I’m a side-sleeper and for the first time I have a pad where my knees don’t hang over the edge! Love the shape.

Although the R rating seems modest, I find it warmer than the Exped because I don’t have to deflate it so much to get comfortable under my hip, because the baffle system is so good. It’s my hips that feel the cold.

Tried the men’s as well, but this was much more comfortable for me. The men’s would work better than the women’s for a stomach sleeper who needs room at the head end for their arms.

Rave review from OutdoorGearLab who made it their Editor’s Pick.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/sleeping-pad-womens/sea-to-summit-ether-light-xt-insulated-womens

I bought mine from a good mail-order outfitter. They gave me a week to try it so long as I returned it as-new. So I got a few nights on it on the floor at home. Didn’t tell me much about the insulation, but it did mean I knew it was comfortable.

Frankly, I’ve decided that a warm bag and a good pad is more important for me than the shelter. If I want to save weight I’ll go minimalist on the shelter and suck up the weight of the pad.

But as I say – I’m ancient and have a health condition that means I’m a basket case if I don’t get a good night’s sleep. Back in the day I’d sleep on the ground without a second thought. HYOH

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Also a back sleeper. I found using (1-2) 1/2″ thick plastazote pads created a firm but soft surface that is perfect for sleeping flat on my back. It seemed to straighten out all the kinks for me

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Lots of reasons for back pain; my mostly minor pain is generally caused by tight hamstrings from sitting in chairs, as well as inadequate core muscles. I find that some judicious stretches before bed can really help with a good night’s sleep. In addition to finding the right mattress and putting something between your knees, you might consider trying some gentle forward bends with knees bent, triangle pose (trikonasana), a sequence of 10 cats and cows, and “happy baby” stretch once you are lying down. (You can easily find these online) If I do those daily when hiking,  I can sleep on just about any mattress – even closed cell foam. I do them at home as well to ease any discomfort.

Obviously if your back pain is due to injury, you’d want medical advice before doing these. But if the pain is mostly due to “first world living” these may help. I’m amazed at people who never stretch; look at your dog or cat, every single time they arise from sitting or lying down.

Bob B
    BPL Member

@thegrizz

I’m a big fan of the Sea to Summit Ether Light XT Insulated Sleeping Pad.

I started out on a Thermarest Xlite. Hated it because it was very noisy, I’d often end up rolling off it, and the baffles weren’t comfy.

Then I went to REI and tested out a bunch of sleeping pads. And I mean I went for it – I was in there laying on pads to the point that it got weird. Ended up on a S2S Ultralight Insulated pad. That was a big improvement over the Thermarest Xlite but it still didn’t have the thickness I needed for side sleeping.

Then 2 years later S2S put out the Ether Light XT Insulated and I got one right away.  LOVE THIS THING!!!

Relatively speaking, it’s got some weight to it, but I really don’t care! Totally worth it. Big comfort improvement. No more feeling like I’m struggling to stay put, no more shoulders touching the ground when I lay on my side.

Pay attention to the thickness/height increase though. If you’re in a tight shelter, bivy, or if you’re just on the taller side then this might lift you up enough that you run into clearance issues. However, The Little Lady and I (5′ and 5’10” respectively) are  in a Duplex w/ these pads + 20F and 0F Enlightened Equipment Quilts (they’re puffy!) and we fit fine.

Also +1 for Hammocks. I agree w/ Dirtbag – they’re the comfiest IMO, but  I rarely sleep below treeline these days so I stick to ground.

Justin C
    BPL Member

@justinm2c

Long time lurker, finally signed up because I’m in search for some gear, but thought I’d also camp on to what @geoffcaplan said.

I am a 5’10.5 200 pound man and I also went with the Women’s long for the same reasons that he did, plus it’s 4″ thick which is great for me as a side sleeper. Yeah it’s a bit heavy, but I also don’t have to carry an unnecessarily long (for me) men’s 78″ pad while still getting the width.

I had it out this weekend in temps down to the high 30’s and it worked great.

Being a side sleeper, though, I’m definitely going to need to carry something for between the knees even with this pad, so thanks for the hospital pillow suggestion earlier in the thread.

So far so good on the StoS ether light XT women’s long pad. I think average sized men should give it a look.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

One of the big advantages of the NeoAir is that it is thick. This is great for when you are on your side. It is also great as a way to absorb roots and rocks.

But on smooth ground, I don’t find it particularly comfortable. I’m OK with it, though (the trade-offs are worth it). My wife, however, finds it too uncomfortable, so she uses an old version of the ThermaRest (the self-inflating type). I think it is now called the ProLite (although there are probably other variations). These have a fair amount of give, and I would say are a bit more comfortable overall. You just pay for it with the extra weight. They also tend to be thinner. If you find this is a problem, a thin foam pad in addition doesn’t way much, and adds some warmth.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My 1st air mattress was an REI FLASH Insulated 3 season model (R 3.7) and I like it. Good support.

Then for winter camping I bought a FLASH All season model (R5.3) which feels the same as the 3 season model, just warmer.

So far I like them and the Sea to Summit pump/dry bag that mates with the valves. REI was smart enough to make their valves compatible with S-t-S pump bags.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

Hi Geoff, if you happen to see this post, I’d like to know if you have any information about the winter version of the S2S Ether pad, which is supposed to be called the Ether Light Extreme Insulated Pad? It should have a much higher R value than the insulated Ether Light XT on the market now at not too much of a weight penalty. I’m waiting for that winter version to come out but it looks like it ain’t happening this year. Cheers, Jon

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools