Topic

Gila Wilderness backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Gila Wilderness backpacking

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Posted this in the fishing section too, but am interested in the nonfishing aspects of this area as well so wanted to post here as well.

Im working on putting together a 3-4 night backpacking trip w/ some friends end of March. Thinking of trying to go to the Gila or Aldo Leopold Wildernesses in east central NM to do some fishing for Gila Trout. Anyone have experience/recommendations there for fishing locations or trails/camping spots? And let me save you from saying it, I know snow/runoff could be an issue. But we here in NM have gotten virtually ZERO snow this year… so if we don’t get hit late season, there isn’t gonna be any to worry about.

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

Here’s the link to NM’s Gila trout page. You’ll need a free permit to fish for them and the page explains how to get the permit.  It’s easy.  I’ve fished there before and car camped but haven’t backpacked in the Gila yet.  They recently received some snow but I don’t think it was a great deal, maybe a couple of inches  The NM game and fish folks are trying their hardest to get the fishery back to what it once was before the fire.  I’d say they are doing a great job of it.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/fishing/native-new-mexico-fish/gila-trout-recovery-angling/

Michelle B
    BPL Member

@mbracht

<p style=”text-align: left;”><span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>I don’t fish so I can’t help you with that but my parents have a camp adjacent to the Gila wilderness so I have hiked both extensively.   I personally prefer Aldo. There is much less traffic.   There is a bike shop in Silver City with all the maps and books you could want.  The owner is a young man with extensive knowledge of trails.</span></p>

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools