Topic

Ghost Flower

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire The Natural World Ghost Flower

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Otherwise known as Monotropa uniflora.  Uncommon in my area, ephemeral in its flowering, and a sign that one has found their way into the deep and silent places within the forest.  I’ve never seen a cluster of them that is this large; there’s no scale within the picture, but they’re over eight inches in every direction.  In a few days they will have vanished, and when the rains arrive next summer, I may see them again.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Nice find – occasionally in the back woods of Pennsylvania, I’m astounded to find a Lady Slipper orchid in the wild…

PA Orchids

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Indian Pipes common in Michigan. Tis is another parastic plant found in moist woodland areas where tints ts nourihment from decaying organic material. These plants tend to grow in tight colonies or clusters as pictured. Native Americans thought the clear juice of the plant used as a eye medicine to sharpen vision.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Wow, that’s a beautiful wild orchid!  We never see those in my area…and monotropa is very rare around here, as well.  Thankfully there are a few places that are undisturbed enough for it to grow.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Nice shot of the Indian Pipes!  We ran across these on the way to Gregory Bald in the Smokies (please excuse the ridiculously bad, over-sharpened pics)

I’ve been seeing TONS of the pink Lady Slippers over the last number of years along the AT in the South.  Big patches of them.  Smaller patches in what little of PA I’ve done.  Are they rare there?

Even more spectacular are the yellow ones.  I’ve personally only come across them in a couple of spots in GSMNP but maybe they’re more abundant elsewhere.

I love Springtime in the Appalachians!!!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Brett – Beautiful photos!  I’ve only ever seen the pink ones in PA and they appear in random places.  Some are in boggy areas where I’d expect to see them, but others are on hillsides where I wouldn’t.  I always feel I found something special when I see them…

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

I always feel I found something special when I see them…

Oh so true!  I never get tired of seeing them.  Strangely enough, I never had the slightest interest in such things until I started hiking and backpacking again 10 yrs or so ago.  A day hike with my wife in the Smokies one Spring forever changed that.  So many varieties and I generally know absolutely nothing about what I’m looking at, even now.  I just know that I love ’em.  What amazes me is the extent to which we go to “manufacture” a beautiful, wild-like setting in our yards (not that there’s anything wrong with that) yet you take one walk through the woods in the Spring and see what takes place of its own accord…naturally…that outshines anything we can possibly accomplish.  Just beautiful!  I mean, how could one not love a Crested Dwarf Iris…

Well, ya all have shot my day at work.  All over some beautiful Indian Pipes.  Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools