Topic

Getting to Yosemite north rim trailhead?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Getting to Yosemite north rim trailhead?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I’m thinking of going to Yosemite in a few days and like the sound of starting at the Old Big Oak Flat Road TH and following the path descirbed here:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/21452/

My question is: Do you know of a good way to get back to a car parked at this TH from the last Yosemite Valley shuttle stop near the Yosemite Falls TH?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Check the maps for the YARTS bus and the Yosemite Valley Shuttle.  I think you take YARTs toward Crane Flat /SR120 and request a stop at the Old Big Oak Flat Road TH.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

<p class=”bbp-user-nicename”>@btolley—Thanks for the tip on YARTS. I had found info on the Yosemite Valley shuttle but didn’t realize YARTS ran right into the valley.</p>
    <p class=”bbp-user-nicename”>Very convenient! I’ll look into how to get the very short ride I need from them.</p>

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

[how do you avoid that crazy html formatting like in my last post?!]

I just called YARTS and they said they only stop at designated stops. So, I can’t use them to get to OBOFR trailhead. Drat!

Anyone have another idea? Thanks!

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Doug

You could call the ranger station and ask. It is a designated TH I would think YARTS would drop someone off  there upon request.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Bruce—Amazingly, I got a hitch from Camp 4 (the last one heading out ot the park) within…two minutes!

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Doug

Awesome, Did you enjoy the view from the top of El Cap?

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Bruce—The views of Yosemite Valley were great after the first day when I gained enough elevation. But I have to say I was hoping for a bit more from the top of El Cap.

I don’t know how far you’d have to walk toward the wall to see anything interesting. It just rounds over and down for a long ways from the top where I was.

Now the lookout area at the top of Yosemite Falls…that was fantastic! And Half Dome from North Dome too.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Doug,

Yup. I am not sure you can see much of the face of El Cap from the top. I was walking down and down to see what I could see and all of the sudden some climbers were coming up and I realized I had come a bit too far for my own comfort.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Bruce,

That sounds like it would be too far for my comfort too.

About 12 years ago I hiked up to the top of Half Dome. As I walked over towards the edge of the face my equilibrium sensor went off when I was still thirty feet away. So I stopped there and was nervous about the folks who crawled right up to the edge and peered over. Yikes!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools