Topic

GettIng kids started fishing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara GettIng kids started fishing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

Reposted from the gear forum after I learned we have a “Fishing” forum!

I’m looking to get some beginner fishing poles for myself and kids (age 3 and 5.) We’d likely do some trout fishing in town and in the backcountry (North Cascades.) We’re all beginners, and could use some advice. We do a lot of backpacking with the boys (probably 10-15 trips a year) and this eventually would probably be where most of the fishing happens.

Is it practical to get something to learn on in town that’s also packable for backpacking?

Should I get dedicated kid’s poles and something else for myself, or can we share?

Any other suggestions for beginning fishermen? Also, and favorites spots would be great (we’re based in Bellingham, and mostly do Mount Baker Highway, North Cascades Highway and Olympics.) Thanks!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Ok, first you can certainly fish with UL back-country rods in the front-country.  That is all that I do.  How good of a front-country rod it is depends a bit on how much weight you are willing to carry backpacking.

Second you have to choose what fishing you want to do.  In my unlearned opinion it comes three choices: 1) Tenkara… alot of fans on here.  Too expensive for me and I’ve never done it.  It is not something I wanted to learn while trying to teach my kids how to fish.  I’ll let others expand on its benefits for young kids just learning the sport.  2) Spinning reels.  This is what I use and most everyone who is not fly-fishing/tenkara fishing for trout in the high country.  Many options and IMO they do not get tangled up as easy as the classic spin cast reels.  3) classic spin cast reel.  I am not a big fan of these but my young kids had a much easier time working these than my spinning reel.  The classic first rod for kids is the snoopy rod.

When I fish with my kids on backpacking trips, I just bring my rod and reel.  If they don’t want to fish then I use it.  If they want to fish, I’m usually pretty busy untangling hooks from logs/seaweed/shirts/hands/… and sometimes fish!  Plus so far my kids have had a hard time casting my spinning reel so I usually have to cast for them and let them reel it in.  though now that my younger son is getting into fishing I’ll probably bring two rods and reels so they don’t fight over who gets to fish.

Scott Penman
    BPL Member

@scottpenman

Locale: Missouri-Colorado

I am a fly fisher and just got back from a family camping/fishing trip.  My six year old really did well with a Tankara rod. The fact that there is no reel to mess with and the line is not at the kids feet (only attaches to the pole at the top) makes for many fewer entanglements and fewer hooks into persons flesh. I also really like the simplicity of the setup. With only two basic knots required its easy on the kids and adults.

Downside: limited range for reaching the fish and fewer options for the types of fishing. Beginners and kids can really only be expected to drift a dry fly and nymphing. But honesty nymphing is probably the best way to start a kid.

My eight year old has taken to the fly rod. She seems to enjoy the extra step of messing with the line. She also enjoys stripping a fly back across the stream as well as being able to blame her Dad for any missed strikes.

Trout Magazine from Trout Unlimited recently had a great article about how to get kids hooked on fishing.  The take home advice:  Make it fun.

I’d also say get whatever gear you can afford and enjoy it. Doesn’t really matter the technique or style or, in many way the quality (though I would argue to spend the money for a good fly line or a decent spinning reel, depending upon your approach, as these will have major impact on the quality of the experience.

Hard to explain how happy and excited I am to have the opportunity to teach the fourth generation of fly fishers in my family.  Beyond words.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I bought my 4-year old son a Shakespeare Spider-Man spincast rod & reel combo from Wally mart for $10. I replaced the line with new 2 lb. test mono, which really improved the smoothness of the cast & retrieval. I tied a small tennis ball to the end of the line for him to practice casting in the backyard.

On his first trip he was casting the lightest spinners with ease and landed two, a rainbow & brook.

I didn’t bring a pole since I figured I’d be too busy helping him. I would set him up, but he did all the casting & retrieving so in reality I probably could have fished too. Maybe next time.

I figured I’d get him his own cheap setup so he doesn’t ruin my nice stuff and if he doesn’t like it, it’s only $10. If he ends up liking it maybe Santa Claus can upgrade him down the road. KISS.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools