Topic

Georgia AT Mid October Hammocking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Georgia AT Mid October Hammocking

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

Locale: N E Fl

I am heading up to do the Georgia section of the AT in about a week.  I have made some changes to my gear, but was a little disappointed that it came in as heavy as it did.  I feel clothing is where I may be overprepared, but the weather forecast is still up in the air.  Obvious places to cut would be the Huaraches and electronics.  Thanks for your time.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=43169

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

For hammocking I don’t think you can go much lighter – You’re under 13 pounds and it looks like your clothing list contains all the clothing you’ll be wearing so you’ll be carrying even less than that.  Even the 9 ounces for your battery pack, charger, and cables doesn’t seem excessive given the electronics you’ll be carrying.

Have a great hike!

Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

Thanks Kevin.  Actually the list only contains my packed clothing.  I will be wearing socks, briefs, pants, and a light long sleeved baselayer. The 2 baselayer pieces in my pack will be worn for sleeping.  I packed a second pair of pants and briefs, but I think I will ditch those along with the Huaraches.  That would save about a pound.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’ve got a trip coming up this weekend and it’s unseasonably warm here in PA – it looks like we’ll have a low of only 58!  I guess it means I can take my 10 ounce torso UQ and my 11 ounce BPL UL60 quilt and I’ll probably still be warm!

I misread your original post – I thought you were going out for a week (not in a week).  How long will it take you to do the AT section in Georgia?

Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

I figure 8 days max, but I hope to do it faster than that. I am skipping the approach trail and going to Deep Gap NC (first good pickup point in NC) so it is 85 miles.  I just retired, so I have the flexibility to take my time and not push it if my body tells me to slow down.  I will resupply a couple times along the route, which will help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools