Topic

Generic Aluminium Tent Poles – Advice ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Generic Aluminium Tent Poles – Advice ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

Has anyone here ever tried / bought generic brand tent poles ? Like those ones (Wilcome brand – 8.5mm) or these (Weanas brand – 7.9mm)

Is it worth it ? Or is it typical “buy cheap buy twice” and I’d better stick to Easton poles ?

Thanks !

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Both are 7001 Al alloy. Well, that is better than the really soft stuff. Check previous discussion at
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/52688/

Cheers

Pierre-Yves C
    Spectator

@py-2

I’ll have a look at this discussion ! Thanks !

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

If you are thinking or using larger diameter (1/2-5/8″), that may be OK, but for slimmer poles that must flex, suggest that it is well worth the extra $ for something that will not break in severe weather and leave you unsheltered. Easton tent tubes are sold by Quest Outfitters and some others. Carbon poles are another story, but I would not suggest using unproven carbon from Ebay, for the same reason. An MYOG tent is a great deal of work. If it fails in the field because of unproven materials, it is self-defeating.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yeah, dunno about unbranded eBay stuff. Obviously, I am buy in Oz, but I would be quite happy to recommend a good US archery web site as a source. Victory comes to mind. Archery arrows do get hammered.

Caution: you can buy cheaper CF arrows from some USA companies, but they are pultruded. That stuff is utterly unreliable. Actually, that is not quite correct: its rapid failure under any bending load is quite reliable.

For a 2-man tunnel for extreme winter weather I have been using arrow-grade ‘2-D wrap’ shafts 7.5 mm outside diam. You can damage them (or anything) if you misuse them of course. Search on ‘storm guys’ here at BPL, probably under my name for more details.

I would have to say that 12.5 mm CF tubing strikes me as being suitable for centre poles on pyramids and not much else. It would FAR to stiff imho.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools