Topic

Gasket for Ziplock screw top containers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Gasket for Ziplock screw top containers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

I remember seeing a fix for leaky Ziplock containers, but I can’t find it now.  Anyone have ideas for gasket material to keep the screw top Ziplock containers from leaking?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. Ziploc screw-top container, verified that it does . if this is the one you were thinking of it didn’t end up working well

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

cut a circle of a ziploc bag and make a gasket the goes on before the lid?  A doughnut ‘0’ shape would work, but I meant a solid circle, it would prolly be easier to keep up with.

saran-wrap may work, but too thin??

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Rich, why don’t you find some Scunci silicone hair ties? The best “rubber bands” ever made, they are 2″ in diameter, and they stretch a lot without breaking (although they do occasionally, but rarely). I just now tried one on a 2-cup Ziploc bowl, and though it’s a wee bit small in circumference, it does work. Carry some spares. I actually have 4-6 attached to each of  my packs, as they have scads of uses. They only weigh 1.3 grams apiece.

Can you tell that I’m a Scunci fan boy?

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Good thought.  Foil may work as well.  Should of thought of that.  Something like a mason jar lid seal was what I was thinking of.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

You can buy o-ring cord and make an o-ring of any size:

cut to length with a razor blade and glue each end together with super glue.  Slide it into the cap below the threads and it should work fairly well

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

I ordered some of the O-ring material.  If anyone wants a foot or 2, send me PM  and I’ll send you some.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Hey Rich,

Any update on how this worked?

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Sorry, I forgot to look back at this thread until now.  O rings worked OK.  You don’t really have a lot of thread on the container to work with, and when you add the O ring, you only get about a quarter turn of the lid before it gets tight.  That means that the seal isn’t as tight as it could be.  The container won’t leak if you turn it upside down, but it will if you squeeze it.  I’m not sure I’d want to re-hydrate food inside my pack with even the slightest risk of it leaking in bear country.  A flatter materiel would probably work better, or maybe a smaller diameter O ring.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

hmmmm…. they sell the same material in sheets.  You could cut out a flat gasket to fit in.  Alternatively, if you only want a thin area of contact, you could just put down a little silicone caulk.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools