Topic

Garmin Inreach random text numbers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Garmin Inreach random text numbers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

When I text to two different phones from the Garmin InReach, the originating number for the text is different. So, phone A and phone B have different numbers to reply to the same InReach. If i try to use the number sent to phone B in sending from phone A, i get a rejection text from Garmin. I understand this might be valuable in preventing huge groups texts and spam texts and i know that you cannot text a InReach unless the inReach has first sent you a text.   What i really want to know, will those numbers assigned to phone A and Phone B remain the same, or are the periodically changed?

I hope this makes sense because it took me a while to figure out what was going on in setting up my wife’s phone.  Thanks

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Garmin inReach Support: 1-888-442-7646

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

i asked here because I don’t have a week to sit on hold with them.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

From my understanding, the inReach does not have a dedicated SMS number, only a dedicated inReach-to-inReach SMS address, so no sense in setting up phones with whatever SMS address you get from an inReach when receiving a message.

However, if you set up your Mapshare page correctly, then anyone you allow can visit that Mapshare page and send you a message from there without you having to initiate the conversation.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

So no point in adding the number to a contact as it will be different with each text or change at some undetermined point?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

That’s the way I understand it.  I may not be correct though.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

The number is not different with each text message in my limited experience (just got my inreach last month). Once you send a text to a contact, they can reach you by replying to that same message. So, in practice, you can send them a “you can contact me here” text at the beginning of your trip. I don’t know if that number changes over time.

As Doug mentions above, if you set up your MapShare page to allow people to send you messages, then whoever you share your page URL with can see your location and send you text messages right from the web site without having a pre-established text conversation. You can also password protect that page so only those who know the password can access the page.

HTH

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools