Topic

GARMIN Inreach mini SALE!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GARMIN Inreach mini SALE!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

Just an FYI, the garmin in reach mini is on sale at REI and Costco for 250 bucks, that’s 100 dollars off. Costco comes with a month subscription and backpack tether. Hope this helps somebody!

jeff

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I wonder if they’re blowing this out because the next one is in the works….

Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

Jenny,

That’s what I asked when I called REI to see what they have in stock. Of course they didn’t know.

Considering the price, not sure a new one is worth waiting for? This one should have all the features I need. I say that, until the new one is half he size and twice the battery life! Good news is Costco and REI have pretty good return policies, although it’s more limited on electronics.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Might be emerging competition. The Bivystik Blue at $350 is just as light as the inReach and its data plan might be better for some users. The SomeWear also has data plans that might work out cheaper for some users. The Zoleo is cheaper, but alas, heavier.

Then there’s the SatPaq. With the new pricing, the device is more expensive, but the message plan is way cheaper if you don’t ming painting at a geostationary satellite.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Costco inReach mini $249.99, with “Backpack Tether and Free Month of Satellite Airtime” thrown in:

https://www.costco.com/garmin-inreach-mini-bundle.product.100686688.html

And though Costco’s over-specific return policy doesn’t mention satellite communicators, it’s 90 days for almost all electronics, so probably a good assumption. Last month I returned a misbehaving washing machine after a week, and it was pretty painless, including free Costco pickup.

Hoping the “inReach mini +” (or whatever) includes voice recognition, so I can stop typing out messages at 8+ clicks per letter, when I don’t drag a smartphone along. Even letter-by-letter voice recognition would be a big improvement.

Not likely. Seems newborns are handed smartphones and social media accounts in the delivery room now. Hook ‘em early!

— Rex

Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

Man, I thought the inreach was the one to get, but should I have done more research? I figure this will be good for the next 5 years, after that I can just press my Star Trek communicator to tell my family I’m at camp boiling water 😉

Rex,

I love technology, but I do wish smart phones and social media never came about…

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

My only concern with the bivy stick is still needing your phone to use it,  what happens if your phone dies or gets damaged… your screwed plus you have to worry about keeping 2 things charged instead of just one….. but for a weekend thing might be ok

So tempting to get the inReach

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I just pulled the plug and ordered the “bundle” from Costco.  It’s been on my radar since it came out and for $250 I just couldn’t resist!  The Costco website says “while quantities last” but I have no idea how many they have to sell.

Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

Mine should arrive today 😀

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

The BivyStick can send a preset check-in or do an SOS without using the phone. Only one preset message can be specified, but an unlimited number can be sent.

Btw, the weight of the Bivy Stick Blue isn’t clear. The website says 3.35 oz / 100 g. But 100g is 3.53 oz.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I want one with a soft female voice that says , “Eric, you need to follow the GPS path.” Or, “Eric, let’s go around this mountain, not over it.”

But definitely not my wife’s voice. That would cause arguments with my GPS. jus’ sayin’…

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask:

What do you use as the content of your 3 pre-set (free) text messages?

Common ones I see people referring on help forums:

Checking In, I’m ok

Camping here tonight

Running behind schedule

Pick me up

Oddly, I don’t see too many people including an “I need (non emergency) assistance” message in one of the three pre sets.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I use the preset messages for a quick note, usually daily, to say the same things you have above: stopping here for the night mostly. Since I use that daily it makes sense to have it as one of my free pre-sets.

I don’t expect to send a message asking for help, so that doesn’t make it to the free pre-sets, since it’s pretty easy to set that up as a non-free pre-set, or to just type it out as needed on my phone. The free pre-sets are saved for things I might send more often.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

My inReach Mini arrived today but to activate it starts a full month of “usage” and I can’t suspend that.  I’m planning to do their “Freedom Plan” that I can suspend during the months I’m not using it.  I just had surgery on my foot so it’s January before I’ll be outside doing much of anything.

I chatted with their online support and they said I should wait to activate it until the month I’m going to use it.  I guess I’ll be waiting until January to play with my new toy…

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Dang, I have the larger SE+ version. Hard to justify $250 for 3-4oz savings.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

FYI: Garmin hands out some unpleasant surprises when you switch from Recreation to Freedom plans. You must pay the yearly Freedom fee AND the first Freedom month. You can’t switch and suspend on the same day. Then you must remember to suspend in a separate transaction later.

“Freedom’s just another word for nothin’ left to lose.” – K. Kristofferson, F. Foster

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

@kbabione Apparently the free month coupon expires December 31, 2020, according to disappointed reviewers at Costco.

Might want to check your coupon and activate a day or two before expiration to be safe.

— Rex

Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

Thanks for the heads up Rex, I wasn’t planning on doing that until January, so now I hope I can save a few bucks

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

@Rex – Thanks – I didn’t think about the free month coupon.  I found it at the bottom of the inReach box.  It clearly states that it expires on 12/31/20, but it means I can create my account (I’ll wait until December 1st) and play with it for free in December and will then suspend it until I need it again.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I know I’m late with this but I pulled the plug and bought mine at REI along with the 20% off discount so I paid $200 for it.  I plan on doing sections of the Colorado trail next year and figured it would take me that long to figure out how the thing works!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools