Topic

Garmin InReach Explorer+

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Garmin InReach Explorer+

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Meinrad v
    Spectator

@deinrad

Hi all,

I am considering buying a Garmin InReach Explorer+. I have read several reviews online, which mainly focus on the SOS, SMS and tracking fuctions. Those all seem pretty good.

But I was wondering if people also use this device for navigation. What are your experiences using this Garmin for that purpose? Any thoughts on the battery life and which maps you use?

Would be great to hear some experiences!

Thanks a lot!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Generally, I use Gaia to supplement paper maps for navigation, but on a recent trip in Death Valley, Gaia wouldn’t reliably update my position, so I used the Garmin Earthmate app on my phone (I don’t remember if all the US maps are built in or if I downloaded them) in conjunction with my inReach mini. Worked great (even had trails Gaia didn’t for the particular loop I did).

The battery on the mini easily lasted for the two days I was out (with 10-min. tracking and 1 sec. logging turned on), the regular Explorer+ would last much longer. But I don’t use it to navigate, per se, I use it occasionally to check my position, relying more on paper maps (or an obvious trail) for navigation.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I’ll echo what Doug said.  The Gaia app is FANTASTIC for navigation on your phone.  If you use the inReach for navigation definitely make sure you download the Earthmate app.  It makes it a lot easier to use.

Adam
    Spectator

@hikehuntfishclimbrescue-2

I have the InReach Explorer (not the + version, so I don’t have maps).  I’m very glad I didn’t spend the extra $$ to get the maps on it.  It’s a MUCH worse overall user interface and experience than using a smart-phone.

I’ve used GAIA and Garmin’s EarthMate, and they’re fine.  TopoMaps+ is my strong preference, but it’s iOS-only at the moment so you’ll need an iphone.  Otherwise, Gaia will do pretty much everything you need.

highly recommend carrying an SOS beacon of some form, and I really like my InReach for the texting features.  Chatter from the Central WA Mtn Rescue team is very positive for folks carrying the InReach devices.

Adam
    Spectator

Oh and I should have clarified: if you get the non-maps-version of the InReach, you can still use maps and navigation (based on your InReach GPS location) via the Earthmate app on your phone.  I really don’t see much benefit in having the maps on the InReach itself, especially considering the costs.

Redundancy in case your phone dies is a legitimate reason, I suppose, but I usually carry a paper map and compass as a failsafe anyway.

Meinrad v
    Spectator

@deinrad

Hi all,

thanks for the helpfull answers.

So apperantly it is not so usefull for navigation. I agree that GAIA is great, but i am on the search for something that lasts longer than my phone…  for when i am on the trail for several days without electricity.

However, after reading this and some other reviews, I am not sure what the advantage of the Inreach Explorer is. Because for navigation it is not good, and for SOS you could get a way smaller one. I guess the only real advantage is that you can communicate back?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You can communicate back with any of the inreach devices.  I think the Mini needs to pair with a phone to do custom messages.  I have the original SE and use the pre-made (prior to the trip) messages often.  There have been times where I have done a custom message, but not often.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“I think the Mini needs to pair with a phone to do custom messages.”

You can do custom messages with the mini, but it’s cumbersome beyond belief .

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve done one custom message on mini.  Cumbersome, but not “beyond belief”, in my opinion : )

There’s a column of letters from A to Z.  Up or down button to get to the desired letter.  “Okay” key to select that letter.  repeat.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“but not “beyond belief”, in my opinion”

I don’t believe you….

Adam
    Spectator

Don’t forget that 2-way communication can easily save your life in an emergency.  I would take a simple SOS beacon over nothing, but no way would I choose a simple beacon (a la the old SPOT devices) over an InReach.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I guess I’m the odd man out here, but I like the Explorer+ because of the GPS/navigation functions.

On my trips I will create or upload GPX data (waypoints and routes) to my map page and then transfer it to the Explorer+.    I also take a printed copy of the maps with routes and waypoints that match what’s on the Explorer+ as that is really handy for navigation.  The Delorme mapping is not the best but having a map that agrees with the GPS screen is invaluable when looking at the big picture (hard to do on a screen of any sort).

I have also purchased and downloaded many mapping programs on my phone (Topo Maps, Gaia GPS, Earthmate, Topo Canada, Motion X-GPS) but my personal experience is that I don’t like using my phone for backpacking (not waterproof, miserable to use in the waterproof case, fragile, battery hog…)   With the Explorer+, I don’t need my phone.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I’m with you, actually, Mike. I wish I hadn’t sold my Explorer+ to buy the mini. I’m thinking of selling the mini and going back to the Explorer+.

Meinrad v
    Spectator

@deinrad

Hi

thanks Mike and Dough for another voice.

I totally agree, i prefer not to use my phone.

but it is still a bit unclear to me why you then would get the explorer for navigation, because it seems there are better Garmins out there to do that. What are your thoughts about that?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

“but it is still a bit unclear to me why you then would get the explorer for navigation, because it seems there are better Garmins out there to do that”

I absolutely agree however there aren’t better Garmins out there that do navigation and communication.

For years I carried 2 devices… a communication device (I’ve had a Spot and two earlier inReach devices) and a Garmin GPS.  I could have carried a communication device and a phone for navigation (and I tried) but that’s still two devices… and as I mentioned before, I think a phone is a poor device for back-country navigation… at least for me.

It wasn’t until the inReach Explorer+ was released that I was able to take a single device that can do navigation (it’s a fully functional mapping GPS) and communications.  The Explorer+ was an easy decision for me, especially since I’m a bit of a GPS geek.  I have tons of routes and waypoints from planned trips and previous trips that I can load on my Explorer+ and use for navigation.  I also keep all of the tracks I put down on my trips (the Explorer+ does that well).  I have stated before that the GPS functionality of the Explorer+ is very “old”, and I was hoping that Garmin would add satellite communication to one of their high-end (larger screen) handheld devices but that has yet to be seen… maybe some day, but until then, the Explorer+ meets most of my needs (and I’m phone free!).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I still carry and use my phone (it’s also a camera and I use music to help me fall asleep at night), but am going back to the Explorer+ mainly for the battery. I like to keep a track of my trips, so I log every second and track every 10 minutes. The Explorer+ will let me do that for 3 or 4 days without having to recharge it, the Mini will get me through two days, but not a full third. So the Explorer+ will allow me to leave the charger at home on most of my trips, and will also be a backup for nav in case the phone dies (I use Gaia via the phone for most navigation, though also use Earthmate, connected via bluetooth to the inReach, as well).

I’m also old and my brain doesn’t work as well as it used to. For me, the regular size is just easier to use,  I don’t have to remember how to navigate the menu’s like I do on the Mini.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

you are a youngster Doug : )

(that is, I’m a few years older)

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Looks like Garmin has finally introduced the inReach Satellite communication features into one of their high end GPS units.   Takes a micro SD, so adding Garmin basemaps, Birds eye aerial imagery and custom basemaps will be possible.  Pricey unit, but nice to have an option for a full featured GPS that can communicate via satellite.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/623975/pn/010-02088-01

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I have used

1. inReach Explorer with and without Earthmate,
    2. inReach Explorer+
    3. inReach Mini with and without Earthmate
    4. GaiaGPS on my iPhone

My preferences depend on the trip I’m on.

• Day hike within cellphone reception – Gaia GPS
    • Weekend trip in the wilderness without reliable cell phone reception- inReach Mini with Earthmate
    • Several weeks long trek without cell phone reception – inReach Explorer+

The new GPSMAP 66i from Garmin will eventually replace my inReach Explorer+ as it allows me to use my routeable Garmin topo maps and other Garmin functionality that I like to have on a GPS unit.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Mixed reviews on the Garmin 66i…doesn’t seem ready for prime time.

Cris H
    BPL Member

@hikingguy-com

I have a big old review of the 66i after using it for a months.

https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/in-depth-garmin-gpsmap-66i-review-how-to-guide/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools