Topic

Gannett Peak suggestions on routes as well as gear requested

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Gannett Peak suggestions on routes as well as gear requested

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Toedtman
    BPL Member

@jessetoedtman

Locale: Upstate NY

This July I will be going on a trip to climb Gannett Peak with my climbing partner along with our significant others. My partner and I have a good amount of technical climbing experience (Rainier, Whitney, probably 300 days of ice and rock climbing combined) along with lots of backpacking throughout the years. Our significant others are starting out, but are fit and strong (and will be well trained in crevasse self rescue, anchors, rappelling and self arrest).

We are looking for suggestions on which route to climb. We have 6 days total to climb the mountain and are in between Glacier Trail and Pole Creek to Titcomb Basin. I had a few questions maybe someone can help answer:

1. In doing Pole Creek to Titcomb Basin, I know summit day is extremely long having to climb up and down Bonney Pass twice. Is it possible to setup a camp higher up past Bonney Pass? If so, why dont more people do so?
    2. We intend to bring our fly fishing poles to hit up the streams on the way out- any idea how the fishing is along the approach?
    3. A big part of the trip is just enjoying the views. For people who have done both (if anyone is that crazy…), could you recommend which one was more scenic?
    4. We would like to bring a large group tent- something on the scale of an Ultamid 4. For camp sites, were there ever issues with smaller camp sites? Bringing such a large tent may present problems and if so, we will bring 2 smaller tents.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Jesse

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools