Topic

Gallatin Crest for July 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Gallatin Crest for July 2017

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been able to attend a BPL grand adventure, so I’m proposing one! :)

The Gallatin Crest, just north of Yellowstone, a very pretty 38-ish mile route atop the Gallatin Range.  Starting at Buffalo Horn Ck trailhead and ending at Hyalite Canyon trailhead (just out of Bozeman).  Early July is what I’m proposing- even the weekend of the 4th if that would help folks with getting time off.  The route spends 80+% of the time at 9000′ or higher and enjoys views to the west of the Madison Range (and the Spanish Peaks) and to the east the Absaroka Range.

The location offers up many other possibilities if you want to explore before or after; the Gallatin River is close by for those that want to wet a fly or raft/kayak a stretch (the Gallatin is where much of the River Runs Through It was filmed), as is Yellowstone Park and a multitude of other hiking/running opportunities.

As in past BPL fashion, this will be a DIAD affair- run/hike, I’m guessing roughly 12 hours give or take.

I think this would rank right up there with our R2R2R and Joshua Tree traverse :)

Mike

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Nice Mike.  Keep me in the loop on this.  I’ve always wanted to get up to Montana and the BMWC is at a difficult time of year for me to travel.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools