Topic

Gaiters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Gaiters

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I just bought some snake gaiters, after almost stepping on a timber rattler, and I want customize them a little bit. The gaiters are from Turtleskin.

http://turtleskin.com/snake-gaiters

Here are the two things I’m looking to do:

1. Create a way to tighten the top
    2. Determine best way to attach gaiter flap on top of boot/shoe to laces

For #1, I’m thinking of using velcro strips a the top of the gaiters if the strips will stay glued to the gaiter. I don’t have a sewing machine by which to sew them on permanently.

For #2, For attaching to eyelet to the laces I thought of using paracord and a taut-line hitch.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When it comes to very small sewing jobs, you don’t really need a sewing machine–just a needle and some thread and hand sew it.  It’s not that hard to do and if the area is fairly small, doesn’t take much time or effort.

I question how well glue would work for this. I do know that sewing, even hand sewing, will in all probability work better and be significantly more durable for velcro to fabric. The stronger iron-heat/press bond stuff might work ok, but thread will still be better.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Fabric glue or sticky-backed velcro works well in that you can apply it, test the fit, and then sew it in place.

+1 on Justin’s suggestion to just hand-sew a small project – it is easier for a beginning seamster to sew bonding or taped fabrics than to hold it all together with straight pins.

And get a thimble.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools