Topic

Gaiter question…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gaiter question…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

I just received my Altra Lone Peak 3.0’s Along with them, I ordered the Altra gaiters, which are pretty low. They have the clip on the front that hooks to the metal ring on the bottom lace and velcro on the back that hooks to the velcro patch on the heel of the shoe.  I’d much rather have a gaiter that comes to the knee. Is the hook & velcro setup fairly standard or is that exclusive to Altra?  I see most gaiters seem to have a strap which goes under the shoe which  doesn’t look like it would work with  the Altras since they have a completely flat sole without an isolated heel.

<span style=”line-height: inherit;”>Any help? </span>

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Dirty Girl gaiters also use front hook/rear velcro, though most other gaiters use front hook/strap underneath.

For knee-length gaiters, check out the MLD snow gaiters, but they also have a strap underneath (though it’s a bungie strap, so you can tension it to hold where others might not).

You could also use any gaiter and just sew velcro on the back if you wish.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Altra and Dirty Girl gaiters are primarily for keeping dirt, twigs, sand, and the usual trail detritus out of your shoes, and for that they work great!

if you’re talking about knee-high gaiters, are you talking about deep snow/winter mountaineering? There are loads of options for that, though if you’re dealing with that much snow (.g., knee-deep and no snowshoes) Lone Peaks mi9ght not be your best option.

Maybe if you cold provide a little more information you might get more helpful answers.

Full disclosure: I’m a Dirty Girl ;-)

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Strap or cording under the Altra would NOT last. Dirty Girl gaiters are the way to go for summer travel and NO snow.

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

Thank you for the responses….I’ll be fine with the Altras, was just hoping there was a taller & slightly looser style with the same attachment method.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Dirty Girls get a lot of love on this site. Another gaiter manufacturer is Joe Trailman.  They make an excellent gaiter that is similar to the Dirty Girls.

Moze C
    Spectator

@moco

Thank you @pastyj-2-2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools