Topic

FUNKY DUMPLINGS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Here’s the basic recipe for the Funky Dumpling Mix:

2 cups all purpose flour
    2-1/2 TSP Bakers’s Corner Baking Powder
    1/2 TSP salt

Mix above ingredients together and add whatever dry seasonings you may prefer.

I’m experimenting with 1/3 cup of the above ingredients when using the Toaks 650 Light pot. I put the 1/3 cup mix into a Ziploc bag and then add 1 TBSP margarine. I mix the margarine into the mix by kneading the sides of the Ziploc till margarine is absorbed into the mix and then I add 2 TSP water and knead that into mixture. Now it’s ready to put into hot soup. noodles and chicken or hot blueberry compote. Simmer until surface of dumplings looks matte, not glossy. Test with toothpick till no mix sticks to it. The dollups of mix will float on top of the hot liquid.

Work with this mix at home on your stove top until you are comfortable taking it on a hike.

My last experiment was with blueberries and rhubarb. I did not have any corn starch to thicken the liquid so the dumplings absorbed a little more than expected but were still good. I did another blueberry batch with cornstarch and voila! perfection :-)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

That’s very cool, Dan. For my ‘fruit dumplings’, which I’ve just done via steam baking, I use Krusteaz  blueberry muffin mix powder, but I use FD blueberries instead of the ones in the little can (lighter than the stock ones). The problem with the Krusteaz mix is that it’s unnecessarily high in sugar. Tasty though. I think I’ll try your simmering technique, and see what I can come up with. Maybe add some stevia to baking powder or Bisquick to get the sweetness, and either FD blueberries or dehydrated Colorado peaches (very yummy).

There’s no sense in going too spartan while hiking. My base weight is low enough that I can cook up some extra tasty treats from time to time. Funky Dumplings ‘r’ Us!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

OMG Somebody needs to name their band Funky Dumplins

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Oh Sooo Goood! I made Noodles and Chicken for lunch.

I modified the basic dough recipe. I added 2 packets of Stevia(Gary’s idea) and upped the baking powder to 2 TBS and deleted the seasoning. I decided not to add seasoning to the mix, this way I can use it for dessert or meals.

Using my Toaks Light 700 I boiled 2 cups and then added 1 cup MT House, stirred the mix in for 1 min and shut off heat. I used 1/2 cup(instead of 1/3) of dough mix and 1 TBS butter into a Ziploc and kneaded it till mixed and then added 1 TBS water, kneaded that till it released from walls of ziploc. While the dough was still in the ziploc, I flattened it out into a 3/8″ thick disc. I put the disc into the pot and turned on the heat to simmer. simmered it for about 5 min. turned heat off and let sit till cool enough to eat. That took at least 15 min. dumpling was cooked to perfection. 700ml of food is a good, hearty meal for a 235 pounder guy like me.

Funky Duplin’s are the BEST  I agree, a band needs to be named Funky Dumplins 

I used a small 3″ simmering disc to insure no scorching inside pot. I’ll get a photo of it and submit later or tomorrow.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

daaaang that’s a good argument for cooking on the trail

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Matthew, your son will love you more if you teach him how to do the dumpling in the food way to cook 

Not really much to it once you practice at home a few times.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

He’s actually a big proponent of not cooking on backpacking trips but I showed him your initial post and he was very interested.

He likes cooking at home and while car-camping (as do I).

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Father and son cooking….I like it 

Tomorrow I’ll try using coconut oil in place of margarine/butter to mix in with the dry mix. Coconut oil is trail friendly.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools