Topic

Frogg Toggs Ultra-Lite2 Poncho – Worth seam sealing it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Frogg Toggs Ultra-Lite2 Poncho – Worth seam sealing it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew B
    Spectator

@ajb123

Locale: Seattle

After months of ambivalence about which fancy $200 UL rain jacket to purchase, my decision was made for me – I was heading out on a short trip last week, and couldn’t find my old (non-UL) jacket, so out of desperation I ordered a Frogg Toggs Poncho on Amazon. By the way, they are going for $10.30 as of today! (7.8 oz without the carrying case)

Here’s what I’m wondering – can I count on this thing to hold out the water, or would it be a good idea to seam seal it? Have any of you tested them out in heavy rain?

I didn’t encounter any rain on last week’s trip so did not have a chance to use the poncho, but am thinking about making it my default UL rain wear top; in combination with a belt and an MLD rain skirt I will look positively dashing on the trail. I’m even thinking of ordering a few more colors at this low price, in the event that I shred this one up on overgrown trails.

For what it’s worth, I’m in the Pacific NW hiking mainly in the Olympics and N. Cascades, in forest and above tree-line. I know it’s a bit of a risk to use a poncho in this type of environment with overgrown trails, but I’m going to give it a shot for the rest of the year.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Frogg Toggs may be somewhat delicate, but are waterproof as-is from the factory.

Andrew B
    Spectator

@ajb123

Locale: Seattle

Thanks for confirming, JCH – I will trust it then!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools