Topic

Freeze Dried crappie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Freeze Dried crappie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ben W
    BPL Member

@binfordw

I had freeze dried a mess of raw crappie fillets awhile back, thought I’d post it here.

Using cold water to rehydrate seemed to need several hours, I just left them in a bowl in the fridge overnight.  I was really impressed with the fillets after they reconstituted, you really couldn’t tell them from fresh ones.  They were easy to bread and fry, and delicious!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Wow… those look incredible, especially given the freeze-drying!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

They turned out nice. Nice eating size. Thanks for sharing your project.

Ben W
    BPL Member

@binfordw

Thanks!  I was pretty surprised myself at how well they did.

How are you making out on the food?  I’m digging through freezers this afternoon looking to fill a few more trays to run another cycle.  I cooked a couple PF chang style frozen meals my wife had bought to try as camp meals and loaded on a tray, and have 4lbs of those small cooked salad shrimp on a couple trays.

We have a big trip coming at the end of September, we want to prep up some more meal choices for that just for variety.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

I’m making my way through it; meant to text you on that, just this morning.  Ham mac and cheese was a win, fried rice was a win too; taking the beef stew and potato soup on a trip this weekend. đź‘Ť

Ben W
    BPL Member

@binfordw

I don’t remember what I sent, but if its “homemade beef stew” thats one to look forward to after a long hike!  I made like 400 tiny 3/4″ seasoned meat balls to make the stew with, instead of using stew meat chunks.  We had noticed adding (too much) instant potatoes in with things seems to complicate rehydration a bit.  I was banking on the hamburger meatballs rehydrating easier, and that they did.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

WOW, a blast from the past!  I haven’t heard anyone mention Crappie since my childhood days in Michigan.  Fun to catch – we used long bamboo cane poles, bobbers and minnows –  and good eating.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

I don’t remember what I sent, but if its “homemade beef stew” thats one to look forward to after a long hike!  I made like 400 tiny 3/4″ seasoned meat balls to make the stew with, instead of using stew meat chunks.  We had noticed adding (too much) instant potatoes in with things seems to complicate rehydration a bit.  I was banking on the hamburger meatballs rehydrating easier, and that they did.

You sent a TON of stuff! ;)  Beef stew is amongst the many packages, and that one is definitely going on the weekend trip.  Also biscuits and gravy.  Ironically, I haven’t made ramen yet, so the shrimp are still on the “haven’t tried it yet” list!

Crappie are one of my favorite fish to catch…and I so often see them in little lakes and coves when I’m hiking near water.  It makes me wish, yet again, for a lightweight and quality telescoping spinning rod that I could whip out and use on a whim.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools