Topic

Fozzils Foldable Dishware: Useful or Not?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Fozzils Foldable Dishware: Useful or Not?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Fozzils Solo Pack dishware is a folding, ultralight set of dishes which appear to be an ultralight backpackers dream.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’ve used the bowl for years and love the thing. Forget the plate and cup. Who needs a plate anyway? Go with the Fozzils bowl and a real mug (like the GSI Infinity) and you are set.

Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan

They look a lot like the old Orkasu (so) stuff. I always had trouble with the snaps and certainly never trusted the cup. The bowl was better. I never had much use for the plate.

Saying all this if I’m to carry dedicate cup and bowl I’ll take the weight of Sea to Summit X-bowl and x-cup.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

What Philip says.

We’ve used the similar (but snap-free, which I prefer)  Orikaso bowls for years.   Flat for food prep, bowls for eating/mixing etc.

The plate has limited use and the mug is a joke.

Tried x mugs.  Too tippy for my clumsy self.

For less weight, a Wildo fold-a-cup large is more stable, greater capacity and slides over the base of (quite common sized) 95mm diameter pots for packing.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I also tried the similar Orkasu years ago for less than 1 season. Cool idea, but was too easy to spill, and snaps became difficult to work over time.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

We take a fozzil bowl for our dog bowl. I usually leave two snaps undone and run some needle stakes through the holes to keep my dog from pushing it around when she eats.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Good article – it gives enough objective and subjective data that I know I’m not interested.

That’s a lot of snaps and origami and weight and money for a task that has better solutions.

$15 and 4 ounces?!?  Use the bottom 3 or 4 inches inches off a HDPE gallon jug of windshield-washer fluid.  Free at the recycling center (in the #2 bin).  1 ounce.  Larger capacity.  Never leaks.   Bomber.   Dishwasher-safe when you get home.  If it doesn’t nest around your quilt’s dry bag, then pick some other HDPE container from the trash such that it nests around your quilt, pot, fuel canister or something so it’s about zero volume (and potentially protects something else like the fins on your HX pot).

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I must have an Orkasu bowl or something similar that has since been discontinued.  It has tabs that fold in at the top 4 corners rather than snaps.  It seems to hold together well.  I normally bring it along when I do little trips with my Grandson.  I think it’s a little more user friendly for him to eat out of than a 750ML Titanium pot.  It also doubles as a cutting board as mentioned.

I like David Thomas’s idea of re-purposing a windshield washer fluid container, except for the part where it doesn’t fold flat to use as a cutting board.

The fold flat feature is nice.  It does make it easier to stuff into a pack, usually against the back panel.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I’ve got a buddy who uses one and I agree with the group consensus. The bowl is mildly nice as a bowl.  Food gets trapped in the corners and crevices but it is not a problem because you flatten it out when you clean it. It really shines as a cutting board/charcuterie platter that is also a functional bowl. Fold-flat packability is also a nice feature.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

The bowl makes a nice makeshift visor in rainstorms when halfway snapped up.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

speaking of foldable, I like these. I’ve been using them for about 1 year so far:

https://www.wildo.se/products/the-orignal-fold-a-cup/

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Our troop used the bowls for both Philmont last year and Northern Tier this year. We did not use the cups.

They worked fantastically well. They are light, cheap and pack so well. Also, they are easier to clean. We unsnap them and lick the bowls clean which made washing them quick with almost no residue.

For an individual, you can eat out of the pot you use to heat water/cook. Group patrol cooking makes these a great option.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Another +1 for the bowl.

It’s small and holds my pint Ziploc bag up for my meals. It folds flat which makes it much easier to pack.

-Barry

Albert N
    BPL Member

@bertman4

I only use the plate and bowl when camping but not backpacking. My plate has always had one poor snap that tends to come loose.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools