Topic

Found a Singer 15-91 from 1932 in my Dad's garage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Found a Singer 15-91 from 1932 in my Dad's garage

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

This post is a little tangential, but I though folks might like it. Turns out my Dad had this Singer 15-91 (potted motor, hideaway table) in the corner of his garage. Apparently belonged to a friend of his mother’s who died in the late 80’s, and he got it after my grandmother passed. It’s been forgotten for years, but he found it behind a stack of boxes while cleaning out his garage this spring and set it aside to ask if I wanted it. Serial puts manufacture in June of 1932! It is in decent shape, but not pristine. I’m assuming it’d need a full rebuild/restore. I don’t want to do it myself, but I’d love to have it restored and put it to use again. I’m mostly just posting to share, to see if anyone is using a 15-91 and wants to convince me to get it restored, or recommend a good shop in the Bay Area.  :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

RESTORE   RESTORE   RESTORE ! ! !

Absolutely no question about it. And keep/restore the table too: that is a rare part of it.

That machine will sew everything from UL silnylon to heavy pack cloth and webbing. OK, only straight stitch, but no matter. I have a slightly newer model, and I will not part with it!

Cheers

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Jim, there has to be an appliance repair or sewing machine repair shop in your area that would LOVE to polish this gem all shiny again. What a great find!

I just found the Singer Factory Service Center in Snohomish WA, give them a call at 360-563-1274. Is that nearby? Anyway… it’s definitely a keeper!

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks all! Sounds like a restoration might a Christmas present to myself. Thanks for the tip Steofan. I’m actually recently relocated to the SF Bay Area (good reminder to update my profile). So far these guys look promising: http://www.saveoursewing.com/. Looks like a small shop.

Ib Bentzen
    BPL Member

@ibb

Locale: Rural Copenhagen

Hi Jim, I used to live in the Bay Area and in the late 1990’s I needed some spare parts for my Mothers old Singer (not as old as yours, it is from about 1960), and found a sewing machine shop on Powell St. The service was good, so I kept their business card, and I just googled and it seems like they are still in business.

Good luck

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Don’t know anything about these guys, except that they’ve been around a long time:

http://www.berkeleyvacuum.com/repairsandotherservices.nxg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools