Topic

Force on tarp tie out points

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Force on tarp tie out points

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Wondering what people have come up with for force on tie out points on tents and tarps?

I have seen figures ranging from 20 on a little solo tarp to I think, 40 pounds on a two person tent. I don’t have the links.

What say you?

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

For what conditions?

found this handy dandy site

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/wind-load

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I vaguely remember an article by Ryan, hmmm….

https://backpackinglight.com/storm_resistance_ultralight_shelters_part_1_intro/

“Generally, moderately stormy conditions (snowfall equivalents of several inches through a night, or wind loads induced by 30-40 mph / 48-64 kph winds) can transfer up to about 40 pounds (18 kg) of tension force to guylines and stake-out points for most solo shelters. If a stake pulls out of the ground with only 40 pounds (18 kg) of force, and you are expecting moderate storms, then you might reconsider your choice of stake. For more information, refer to Will Rietveld’s research on stake failure forces.”

but the link to Will Rietveld’s article is broken

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Jerry that looks like one I remember.

When I get a chance I will try plugging in some numbers in that physics site.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools