Topic

For those of you who know Altra shoes: Which ones for me?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) For those of you who know Altra shoes: Which ones for me?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Due to a foot issue, I bought a pair of Timps this last summer for their cushion. They were a radical departure from what I preferred and was used to due to their cushioning and stack height. I had been wearing Luna sandals for everyday use and for backpacking and hiking, Vivo Breathos, Carsons, and, on occasion, as a more cushioned shoe, the original Altra Superior.

Long story short, my foot issue never healed to the point that I could backpack this year… and I still have my Altra Timps. As my feet improve, and I begin walking any distances again, I’m looking to trade my Timps for something not as tall (I felt to be walking on stilts with the Timps). I’ve only worn my Timps indoors and only for a few mins at that…so Altra has graciously accepted to trade.

I’m looking at the King MT, King MT 1.5, Lone Peak 3, 3.5, and 4…and the Superior 3.5.

I prefer a shoe that feels stable, lots of traction, something not as tall as the Timp which, all these fit…some more than others. I like lots of toe room. Light is good too.

Wish I could try these on but have no local retailer in which to do so.

Which ones do you like or would you recommend and why?

Thanks!

David Caudwell
    BPL Member

@dcinbc

Locale: Gulf Islands, Coastal BC

Having loved the earlier, wider toe box Lone Peaks (up as far as the 2.5) my personal preference is currently the Superior 3.0 or 3.5 – they are lower to the ground than the Lone Peak (and indeed the Timp and Olympus) and they have good traction and reasonable lateral stability, due perhaps to the lower stack height but also a better heel and mid foot fit. They also have a wider toe box than either the Lone Peak 3.0 and 3.5 (I haven’t tried the 4.0) and I believe are made on the same last as the Timp, so if that fits toe-wise I’m sure you’ll be good! The Superior 3.5 seems to have a slightly deeper toe box than the 3.0 but otherwise they fit the same. Note that the 3.5 is also slightly heavier. I prefer wearing the Superiors without the rockplate in – this saves weight and allows more toe box height (more of an issue in the 3.0 for me)

I should also say I have not tried the King MT but from all I have read they are not as stable in the heel as the Superiors and are anyway a more specialized shoe suited to racing and for shorter distances.

Hope that helps!

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

The LP 4.0s feel less tall than previous versions.  Not sure what they did to make them feel lower as the advertised stack height is the same.  They don’t feel squishy or unstable but do have a softness to them which makes them nicer on hard ground.

The King MTs are very stable and firm but not uncomfortably so, but in contrast to the LPs I find they aren’t great on hard ground (e.g. logging roads).  If you want a firmer ride they are great.  I also suspect the Ego cushioning will outlast the LP cushion.  The MegaGrip tread is fantastic.

Overall the King MTs feel like a fast racer and the LPs feel more like a comfy hiking slipper.  I think the Superiors are a little like both, lightest of the three and less structure/support but I haven’t tried them personally.  PMags just posted a review about them on his blog.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thank you two for the thoughtful replies. Very helpful!

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

I tried the Lone Peak 4s and thought they had a wide toe box, I think it has improved in that regard from earlier versions, their customer service from the web site is very responsive to questions, they could confirm this.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Joe.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. Shoe requiem (Altra King MT 1.0) from Bedrock And Paradox by Dave Chenault.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Have you ever ordered from  ZAPPOS they have free shipping to your door and free return shipping so that you can try different shoes to see what fits, Running Warehouse also has free return shipping.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks for the link and suggestion. I have ordered from Zappos before but I have to send these Timps back to Altra direct. Otherwise, yes, Zappos would be a great option for me!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools