Topic

+ & – for Ex Officio brand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) + & – for Ex Officio brand

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I recently purchased some stuff from STP for ze spouse and myself for an upcoming trip.  I purchased a woman’s Ex Officio “Caletta Tunic LS Shirt for her, and an ExOfficio Give-N-Go Base layer top for myself.

The Caletta shirt, i got because it was a unique blend–55% Linen and 45% polyester.  The spouse didn’t like it because it was a weird cut, and didn’t fit her well since she has a large bust.   I tried it on, and it fit me much better than her and overall looks pretty gender neutral (but very Muslim like), so i will probably keep it.   It’s hard to find linen synthetic blends–and they are excellent for hot and humid weather wear/use. (Rohan makes and sells some clothes with very similar fabric blends, but they cost around 90 dollars and i got this shirt for 18 and some change)

The Give-N-Go baselayer top is advertised both on STP and on the label as “wicking”.  Yet again false advertising from Ex Officio (i’ve pointed this out in relation to their boxers).  No matter how much water you put on the surface of the inside or outside of the shirt, it just sits there in a round puddle, and after a couple of minutes of waiting for it to absorb, i just gave up.  An actually well wicking fabric, will pull that moisture in quickly and spread it over a larger surface area so that it can evaporate more efficiently/quickly.  The polyester shirts that i have that are advertised as wicking, actually do this.  Nylon fabrics CAN be made this way too–it’s just a matter of using altered fiber shapes.

It’s too bad because otherwise, it’s a very comfortable shirt, and i like that it’s mostly nylon and very breathable (unlike most button up, woven nylon shirts).  I wish companies like Ex Officio would not falsely advertise their stuff.  It should not be labeled wicking.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I’ve only purchased their underwear, but found that they do live up to the hype.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Should we call this scandal Wick-it-gate?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The underwear doesn’t wick either.  A pox on Ex Officio, a pox.  Seriously though, they are alright other than that. Good odor control, fairly comfortable when not sweating a huge amount in high humidity.

Sure Ralph, Wick-It-Gate sounds good. Pretty soon, Wikileaks will leak some Ex Officio memos where corporate upper ups at Ex Officio discuss their false advertising.  It will be slightly reminiscent, i think, of Mr. Burns and Smithers secret discussions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools