Topic

Footwear for Scottish Highlands?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Footwear for Scottish Highlands?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mudjester
    BPL Member

@mudjester

I’m getting an early start planning for late May-June tromps in Scotland. Haven’t been there and wondering if I should swap my usual non-gore shoes (Salomon X Ultra; Altra), which I do use off trail on the SHR for instance, for gore+gaiters shoes or boots to handle the Scottish wet and rocky? Planning to do the WHW, Cairngorms on/off-trail, islands, etc. I usually hike Sierra, PNW, SW US, where wet feet dry soon enough, but occasionally switch to LW gore boots when I know I’m facing nasty scree or its likely to be cold and wet. Whaddya think?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is Chris Townsend’s article  on GEAR SUITED FOR WET, COLD WEATHER HIKING , Chris is Scottish and the article is reporting from  the  Northern Highlands of Scotland , Here is BPL member Amy Lauterbach’s trip  report on hiking Scotland: West Highland Way, Cape Wrath Trail, North Coast .Alan Dixon’s article A LIGHTWEIGHT GUIDE TO BACKPACKING IN SUSTAINED, COLD RAIN  and a few articles from Andrew Skurka Why “waterproof” shoes will not keep your feet dry , Minimizing the effects and aftermath of wet feet .  Complete failure: I gave “waterproof” Gore-Tex hiking shoes a second chance .

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I suggest you ask over here – a community with a fair bit of Scottish experience.

Mudjester
    BPL Member

@mudjester

Thanks for the links Link and William. I back channeled you that I was unable to access your links on my phone, but found that I can do so on my computer. I’m new to BPL and just figuring out how to work it.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

I hiked the West Highland way this September and was very happy in mesh trail shoes (Topo Terraventure). However, I was lucky with a hot dry spell of weather, and it only rained the last half day.

If your feet get wet in the UK, don’t count on them drying out quickly, either the sun isn’t hot enough or you will hit wet ground again . I’ve had badly mascerated and sore feet from walking all day in wet socks. Maybe a Hydrobloc equivalent would help,  but i would take Goretex shoes if the ground was going to be wet. Your feet may get damp, but probably not soaked, and therefore more easily aired off.

There’s not much “serious scree” in the areas you mention, so you can at least leave the boots at home.

As mentioned in other recent threads, the midges will be out, so don’t forget your headnet and deet or Mossieguard (eucalyptus oil) etc.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

There used to be a number of GoreTex sock offerings, including LL Bean, Rocky, and Gore Bikewear.  I have the GoreBikewear ones.

Seems both the Gore Bikewear and the LL Bean models are no longer available, leaving just the Rocky brand.  A bummer.
    For consistently wet conditions, I found that Goretex boots took forever to dry out.  Separating the two by purchasing meshy, non-waterproof shoes or boots and a pair of waterproof socks seemed like an improvement to me.

I would suggest looking at waterproof sock options.  Rocky Goretex socks are still around, but I would also research SealSkinz and/or DexShell waterproof socks.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Mesh synthetic New Balance running shoes worked well for me on the West Highland Way…..but I don’t mind wet feet.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Sealskinz – no good. sort of waterproof for about an hour maybe, after that you’d be better off with a neoprene sock I think. Plus mine have sort of delaminated such that the inner fabric now slides around against the outer ( or is it the middle) layer, and can bunch up, leading to blisters. I’m going to try rocky goretex socks next myself.

Richard A
    BPL Member

@antisana

Mudjester
    BPL Member

@mudjester

Everyone: Great thoughts and links and advice! Many thanks. I’m getting that wet feet (and maybe much else) is likely to be the way of things there. Although it won’t be like sloshing down a river in a SW slot canyon, it may approach that. So I’m thinking its best to stick with my usual ventilated shoes and extra socks, incl. a neoprene and dedicated sleep pair. Negligible weight penalty. Which raises another ?

Umbrella? I haven’t used one in the wild, but also haven’t had to deal with ongoing rain. I use a single hiking pole and prefer not to have something in both hands (except in river or snow crossings). But I do wear glasses. Do you think a burly Arcteryx hooded jacket with a big visor be sufficient? Or should I consider an umbrella? Will Scottish winds make it useless?

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Showers Pass makes a good pair of waterproof socks.  I agree that Sealskinz aren’t the best.

I live in the PNW and always carry my umbrella when expecting rain.  You’ll find several sites that tells you how to connect the umbrella to your pack so it’s hands free.  I also used it on the JMT this summer to block the sun.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I sometimes use an umbrella on local hikes in heavy rain, and I have used one in high winds. It can be done but it requires a lot of management to keep the thing facing into the wind, otherwise it will invert and could break. I would not take an umbrella backpacking for heavy rain use, though I could see using one for sun protection and as a secondary rain protection.

Have recently completed a slightly modified version of Roger Caffin’s Mountain Poncho and I like it a lot for hiking in rain with a pack.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

+1 on the Showers Pass waterproof socks – very comfortable for a waterproof sock – note that the foot part of the sock is a bit thicker than my usual Darn Tough lightly padded hiking socks so make sure they fit in your shoe. SP sells them in two versions – one regular, and one with a thinner upper sock for warmer conditions. They are also useful for wearing in your wet trail shoes in camp at night.

Check typical wind conditions for the area for that time of year as Scotland can be quite windy, making an umbrella difficult to manage let alone keep in one piece.

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

Tricky one; a lot comes down to personal preference but for me, having hiked for 12 weeks in the Scottish Highlands, I find that waterproof shoes are no good – you will soon get them wet then they are harder to dry as they don’t drain.

Have something like dry socks and a waterproof over sock for camp/night and dry your feet; this way you have wet feet and dry feet in equal proportions or more dry than wet, and this has never caused me an issue.  I just wear dry socks and goretex over socks at camp – they’ve not holes in maybe 8 weeks of use. Something really basic like this:

https://www.factsurplus.co.uk/product/104

I hike in wet socks and wet shoes, although they might dry out; I always hang my socks on a line in my tent or outside if I know it’s going to be dry.  It’s surprising how dry they can get get. Well, just damp as opposed to wet!

My favourite shoes for Scotland have been Altras and my total favourite the Saucony KOA ST – light, cushioning, great lacing, great grip/sole.

Finally, if you are experienced (personally) I’d avoid the WHW as it is so so busy; there is so much to do in Scotland, and you can plan to be in a town every 3-5 days to resupply/wash etc.

Just my thoughts!

Pete

PS I wouldn’t take a brolly into the highlands and expect it to last long! I’d stick with waterproof jacket and trousers

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been to Scotland, but despite we were there in early’ish April, it was unusually warm and dry.

With that said, I live in between the mid and south east of the US and primarily hike from the late fall to early spring time. It tends to be wet and cool. The main difference is we don’t have as much wind as Scotland tends to have (and we have a lot more trees).

Anyways, the following might sound “crazy” at first, but this is what I would try if I was in your situation. I would find quick drying, but supportive sandals. I would wear a thin, about half merino wool half nylon blend sock directly on skin (plenty of brands make such types, such as Darn Tough, Smartwool, etc) over that a goretex sock, and then over that wear a thinnish to medium thickness all or mostly polypropylene sock. I would also bring extra against skin socks.

Holistic logic behind that is that sandals have very little material to dry. Thin merino/nylon blend is good for skin health, warm’ish, comfortable even when damp, and low odor. Being thin, they dry faster than thicker wool socks, plus the extra synthetic helps.

Goretex socks for the reasons other people have mentioned (I have some of the Rocky brand version).

Polypropylene outer because it’s the quickest drying, and somewhat warm while wet. The PP material itself doesn’t absorb moisture, and the moisture that gets in between the fibers, can easily be gotten rid of by wringing and/or snapping out (even after dunking in a stream to rinse them if need be).  PP also has the lowest thermal conductivity of common clothing materials (though I’ve seen conflicting info on this, some sources say that polyester is lower. So far, I lean to it actually being PP).

In combo with a goretex sock, it would make a great outer.  With the goretex sock you don’t need to worry about wind protection because these will block that.

I don’t like wearing PP socks directly on the skin because they seem to promote imbalanced skin conditions, as well as high odor (builds up quick and is hard to get fully rid of). I also feel like my feet sweat in them more per given thickness compared to most other materials. But as a 2nd or outer layer they work great, if there is not too much warmth to the system.  You might be able to get by with a liner type sock for the PP outer. Depends on how cool or warm you run.

I plan to do a 3 day trip in mid December, and I will try this combo and report back. If it doesn’t rain, sleet, or snow, I’ll walk in some streams some each day.

Mudjester
    BPL Member

@mudjester

Cheers all! And continuing thanks for your gracious thoughts and advice. No brolly, no boots, no foot goretex (although I’d have bit on the military socks if they were in stock, Pete), no joke, and basically, no sweat. Just more socks and H2O protection than my usual kit. With well-vented shoes and dry camp socks, I’m good to go. If the Cairngorms teach me something else, well, I’ll deal with that thing then ;)

Yea Pete, I’m aware the WHW will be social, even in May when I go, but hey, when in Rome, eh? I’m going for the cultural experience almost as much as the Euro wild, and getting that most “backcountry” hiking in the UK and Alps will be busy. Hut to hut, bothy to bothy, hostels, B&Bs, cooked meals and lilting libations in a warm room with dry feet and a dash of comaraderie…could be worse. Here in smoky California, I avoid the Muir Trail as much as I can, it being a highway these days. And the Wonderland around Mt. Rainier is even worse. But you know, they are smashing walks just the same. And I’m guessing the same will be true of the WHW, on which I do plan to “wild camp” when I feel like it. To have the option of either pitching in the rain and cooking under a drafty tarp or repairing to a warm pub and bed with a WC nearby, might not be so bad, eh?

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

You are right, and there’s nothing wrong with social at all… and there are a few places you can get away from everyone and camp is splendid isolation… should you want to escape Rome for a bit.

Have an ace time and report back afterwards (if you you have time!).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools