Topic

Footwear for early March start – NOBO AT thru hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Footwear for early March start – NOBO AT thru hike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve S
    BPL Member

@athiker17

My wife and I will be starting our NOBO AT thru hike in early March of 2017. Over the years I’ve come to love hiking in trail runners, but I’m leery about wearing them in possible snow and slush conditions. Being from northern Michigan, I’ve spent days in the woods with freezing wet feet and it was miserable if not downright dangerous. With that in mind, we’re considering starting the hike with lightweight hikers and wearing them until they’re worn out or we’re past Mount Rogers, whichever comes first.

Opinions?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

neoprene socks in trail runners are a good compromise.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Stick with the trail runners and wool socks.  I would probably consider adding gaiters.  Some might want Rocky Gore-tex socks but I probably would not take them for March in southern Appalachia.  You could take them and mail them home in April too.  But I always find I need an extra half size at least with Gore-tex socks.  Maybe you could re-use the bigger shoes later in the hike when you feet expand.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools