Topic

Foot Lessons from the JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Foot Lessons from the JMT

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gene C
    BPL Member

@genecx

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just got back from a fantastic thru-hike of the JMT (LYL->WP) and, among other things, had the best foot experience I’ve ever had on the trail.

In the past, foot issues would be the biggest problems I’d have while backpacking. I’d reliably get blisters between toes, on the outsides of my toes, on my heels, and sometimes on my instep.  I’d also get flare-ups of plantar fasciitis pretty quickly into a hike.  I’ve developed techniques to address these over time, and it all came together perfectly on this thru-hike.

1. Brooks Cascadias trail runners.  Specifically, I wore Brooks Cascadia 15s. Comfortable and light, kept my feet dry by allowing moisture to easily leave.  Unfortunately, my experience with the 14s and 15s is that they seem to lose grippiness quicker than the older models I’ve used. They also started to develop holes in the uppers at the front inside and outside pivot points after about 150 miles. Brooks immediately agreed to send me a new pair when I contacted Support.

2. Superfeet insoles.  I took a risk and tried a new-to-me Superfeet version: the Trailblazer.  They were great and I will use again. Modest signs of wear after 220 miles.

3. Injinji toe socks. This has been my solution for some time to between-toe blisters.  I started out with a brand new pair of Injinji Run Lightweight Crew Toesocks.  The lightweight socks help with moisture management. These guys were soft and comfy for the whole trip. On the very last day, somewhere between Guitar Lake and the other side of Trail Junction, one of the heels did wear through.  But I don’t think that’s too bad for a pair of lightweight socks.

4. Feetures plantar fasciitis compression sleeves. This is the first time I’ve ever brought these with me on a hike, and I’m so glad I did! I think these were my real secret weapon that left me with absolutely zero plantar fascia pain no matter how many miles I did in a day.  I’d put these guys on in the evening for about an hour or so — any longer and they get really uncomfortable — and sometimes for a little while in the morning before starting the day. I’m never hiking without these again.  Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Feetures-Plantar-Fasciitis-Sleeve-Sock/dp/B01HXOIA0M

5. Light pack weight. I’m sure all my time spent refining and whittling down my carried weight helped.  It may not qualify as ultralight, but my fully-loaded pack weight (incl. food and water) ranged from a low of 22lbs (weigh-in at Whitney Portal) to a high of 33lbs (weigh-in at MTR with my biggest resupply).

I’m still coming down from my JMT high, and my very happy feet were a big part of that.  For a long time, I would pre-tape my feet to prevent blisters.  This worked pretty well, but on this trip I stopped taping after a few days because things felt so comfortable (also, laziness), and still no blisters.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It’s great the trip went well. Share some pics when you get a chance.

Gene C
    BPL Member

@genecx

Locale: SF Bay Area

The law of travel photography: it takes at least as long to process the trip photos than the length of the trip!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Great info!  Thanks so much for posting this; I’m literally always battling feet issues, so any info is good info.  I hadn’t considered compression until now; I’ll take a pair on the next trip and see how they do. 👍

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I’ve used the Feetures plantar fasciitis compression sleeves for years and I can’t keep them on much longer than an hour either. SectionHiker had an older article recommending Bitly Plantar Fasciitis Compression Socks, which I’m trying now. I can wear them for several hours because they aren’t as crushing. So far, I like them. I don’t have actual plantar fasciitis anymore, but I get Achilles pain often and foot support seems to help.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Any thoughts on custom orthotics versus compression sleeves for plantar fasciitis?

I’ve worn custom orthotics for roughly 30 years. They work fine for me, but sometimes a PITA for fitting shoes and accumulating grit, plus extra foot weight.

Thanks.

— Rex

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have custom orthotics as well and the only time I find them to be an issue is when I’m going up a very steep incline – they raise my foot just enough in my hiking shoes (Danner trail runners) that my heel almost comes completely out of my shoe when it’s really steep.

Happily, in Pennsylvania where I do most of my backpacking, that happens only for short stretches of 20-30 feet, typically immediately after crossing a stream.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

I have custom orthotics as well and the only time I find them to be an issue is when I’m going up a very steep incline – they raise my foot just enough in my hiking shoes (Danner trail runners) that my heel almost comes completely out of my shoe when it’s really steep.

I have the same problem: heel slip.  My heavier boots fit me really well and prevent this, but they’re not always appropriate choices.  Finding a trail runner or lighter shoe that is equally effective has been incredibly problematic: I’ve been through many options, now, and none have been ideal.  Most have not even been satisfactory: they generally support the wrong areas, leave other places unsupported, and even when they fit decently well they tend to wear out quickly.  I’m thinking of going to a light approach shoe with a low-volume orthotic, so I can hopefully get a nice, tailored wrap around the parts of my feet that need support.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The heel slip has only affected me on those short & steep inclines so I’ve learned to live with it.  Here’s the first place I noticed it (on the Mid State Trail in PA leaving the Pine Creek Rail Trail):

Steep Incline!

It can be hard to capture incline in a 2D photo, but this gives a pretty good idea of how steep it was.  Because so many of the other inclines like this come immediately after a stream crossing, I’ve just pulled my orthotics out and take off my socks before putting my shoes back on to cross the stream.  After ascending the opposite bank I quickly put on my socks and slip the orthotic back into my shoes and we’re off.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Ew!  That’s a nasty hill…and it’s all covered in pine needles.  That’s like walking up a slip-n-slide.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

<p style=”text-align: left;”>The iniiji toe socks cured all my toe blister/callus problems as well. For $20 they’re an easy and highly effective fix for most toe rubbing issues</p>
    40% Urea lotion also helped me a lot with calluses

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

40% Urea lotion also helped me a lot with calluses

I saw your post on that; I might have to try it.  Walking around barefoot or in sandals most of the year does a number on one’s feet.  Right now I’m using the stuff that I put on my dog’s paws, and hoping it works as well for me as it does for her.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Not the JMT but THIS looks like really smart comfortable footwear you might consider;0

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Gene, congrats on your successful JMT hike and problem free feet!  It took me awhile (about 40 years) to find the foot formula.  Ditto the Cascadia 15’s and the injinji socks.  I graduated from superfeet to custom orthotics a few years back but in all a trail runner, arch support, and toe socks seem to be a winning formula.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools