Topic

Folding solid closed cell matt – non-waffle or egg carton surface – where to buy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Folding solid closed cell matt – non-waffle or egg carton surface – where to buy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

I want to move away from rolled closed cell foam pad, but the only folding ones I see are the waffle or egg carton kind of surface. Seems the egg carton or waffle pattern wouldn’t be as easy to brush off snow or debris when I use it outside of my tarp as a general sit pad.

Where can I find them? So far the best for the money of the egg carton folding types are Alps Mountaineering or Theremorest. Suggestions?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Buy a sheet or roll of the solid foam you want. Slice most of the way through with a razor blade at the fold lines you want, alternating sides. Reinforce with tape. Voila – custom folding solid closed cell matt.

Or buy one of these kits with instructions:

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Ray-Way%20Sleeping-Pad%20Kit/index.htm

I use waffle-pattern foam sit pads on many surfaces. Brushing off dirt, mud, and snow isn’t a big deal.

— Rex

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I’ve found that the thermarest pads don’t hold onto dirt or snow very well, and are easy to brush off.  I’ve also used something like the Ozark Trails pads that can be purchased very cheaply at places like Walmart.  It is simple to use a sharp knife like an exato or razor blade and cut through the foam part way.  A few pieces of duct tape will keep the pad together, and it will fold nicely.  This is one project where measure twice, cut once pays off.  Make sure your cuts are parallel to edges, and uniformly spaced, or you will have difficulty folding the pad.  If you find that the pad material is breaking apart at a cut, a drop or two of superglue spread over the offending area can be helpful.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’ll argue that the Thermarest Z-Lite is easier to clean dirt/snow off of than a Thinlight or “regular” CC Foam pad due to it’s solid (slick-ish) surface.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Z-rest kind of sucks if you spill liquid all over it though.

For a long time I used 6 panels of z-rest and equal length of K-mart blue foam and put sticky velcro so I could velcro them together. There was an annoying overlap but it was in a place that didn’t bother me. I thought some day I could fix this with a velcro strip 2-inches wide that could velcro the two sides with 1″ velcro strips stuck on them, thus be more flat. If I could find the stuff somewhere.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

We used to make closed cell foam inners for our plastic double boots. Laminate the inside pieces with tricot and Barge Cement, glue the seams together with Barge Cement, then  laminate coated nylon on the outside covering the seams for strength.

For a folding pad one could make a reinforcement strip with tricot (which holds the contact cement well) and barge cement for the joints that would be a step up from duct tape.

I carry closed cell foam, but not anything already jointed.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Sounds good – regular Alps Mountaineering or Thermarest waffle brushing off easily is good enough. I figured it would be just a royal pain.

The other option of making one – I’m really really -really! – trying not to continue doing everything DIY, even though this would be straightforward. I already spend too much time dinking around and not enough time actually outside. Still – I have a blade holder that will keep the cut depth consistent and using tricot with barge cement sounds solid.

Unless there’s a magical tape that once I stick it on the pad it won’t start coming undone at the edges and get all gooey.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Thermarest Z-Shield mats are still available on Amazon…they are exactly what you are looking for…foldable, non-egg crate smooth surface, 24 x 72.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Looks like Backcountry Gear has some left as well.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Also USMC surplus at the usual surplus places

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

My butt pads have always been homemade. Starting years ago, with Ensolite. For the last 15+ years I’ve used a piece of Ridge-Rest I cut. I tried a Z-Rest, but it’s not nearly as comfortable as the Ridge-Rest. The Z-Rest compresses under the butt more offering less cushion. It’s noticeably different. Ditto with the pre made “Z-Seat” that Thrmarest sells. It’s just not as comfortable as the Ridge-Rest material.

Have never found gunk collecting in the Ridgerest to be an issue. Dedicate one side to going against the ground, and fold that to the outside when folding the piece in half.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Ok then – picked up 2 over on Amazon. Might as well have a second on hand for $20 each. They look exactly like the USMC brown used ones for the same price.

This winter in the snow I’ve been using a 3/8 roll foam military surplus matt on either side of Klymit inflatable insulated Static V Lite and to keep everything from slipping sandwiched a Gossamer Gear Thinlight 1/8″ between them.

No more fighting a cold roll up foam matt. Thanks everyone for the good advice to cut my own and of course for the connection to Therm-a-Rest Z-Shield.

If I want a really warm pad, I’ll slice up and tape one of those awesome 3/4 inch roll up Alps Mountaineering pads my boys have.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Addendum:  looking forward to the delivery of a the Z-Shields. I’m really trying to force myself not do DIY everything when I can buy it.

bradmacmt:  thanks for you opinion the Ridge-Rest will compress less than the Z-Rest. I had some suspicion the Z-Rest would do that, particularly when sitting on it as it just doesn’t look like it has as much solid material. Probably really good under my inflatable where my weight would be distributed across wider areas.

This last weekend up in the state forest the snow, even where packed and kinda refrozen, was still compressible where sat or was kneeling. The heavy, more rigid sit pad was really helpful to keep me from putting divits in my sleep and sitting area under the tarp.

I think I’ll appreciate sitting on the the firm solid mats when folded double or triple.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

. How To Make A Foldable Foam Sleeping Pad  .

Liked this link, Gonna add it to my blog.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’ve made dozens of fold up pads (various lengths, thicknesses) using the same technique that oware has posted above; if you don’t have a hot knife, one of those small derma safe razor knives works really well, just don’t go too deep

as always measure twice, cut once :)

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Big thank you to everyone. I received the z-shield mats and should do just what I wanted. By themselves may be a little thin, but I’m pairing with my Klymit insulated air pad I should be very comfortable.

…and should the folds give up I now know how to tape them back together. 👍🏻

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I am glad you guys liked the video I posted on  how to make a foldable foam sleeping pad, it is a very good video

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Another way that could work for some is to get a sheet of Tyvek , cut the mat into whatever size strips you want and then glue them on to the Tyvek leaving the correct distance for when folded concertina style.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools