Topic

Floating UL Saw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Floating UL Saw

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Responding to a humorous question from another thread asking if the 8.2 oz saw/machete I made floats, I decided to see if I could actually make a saw that floats.

I weighed one of the UL saw blades I fabricate sans handle, and it came to 2.3 oz. I traced the outline of the handle onto some 1/2″ cork panel and cut and shaped it to make half a handle, then placed it into a container filled to the brim with water and collected and weighed the water displaced when it was fully submerged, which came to almost precisely 2.0 oz. The 1/2 handle itself weighed 0.6 oz.

Doing the math, a complete handle would displace 4.0 oz of water, and the 2.3 oz blade + 1.2 oz cork handle would weigh 3.5 oz. Figuring that glue and several coats of Plasti-Dip would weigh less than 0.5 oz I decided to go for it and made the second half of the cork handle, glued it, and sprayed it. And it worked!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Nice.

This is still the best combo of performance and weight that I’ve ever witnessed in a UL saw. I watched one of these rip through a 3″ branch in about 15 seconds.

I want one of these floating ones!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

@fox212: Ask and ye shall receive! PM me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools