Topic

Flip flop repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Flip flop repair

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

one of my favorite pairs of flip flops has started to die. Definitely not ready to be done w/ these so hoping I can make this repair happen. Any suggestions on a glue to hold the strap in the pocket it came out of?? The strap feels like a soft grosgrain type material and the flip flop sole is typical Chaco dense foam/rubber…

R
    Spectator

@autox

Ask Chaco?

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Yea I’m gonna reach out to their customer service on Mon. Per the website, this isn’t a style they repair… and they’re too old for me to feel OK about attempting warranty. Just hoping someone had a better suggestion than the basic super glues, etc.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Wanted to post a quick followup for future reference… I ended up using a kinda specialty glue that we had at work after installing some foam strips on a fiberglass shower surround. It was similar to the E6000 glue you can get at big box stores though.

Happy to say that 6 months later, its still holding great :)

A couple months later, the other flip flop came loose also. I ended up using SilNet on that one and its been holding as well.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Man that is awesome to know!  Thanks.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Rudy,

I would have tried a warranty repair. For as much as Chaco and Reef charge, they should last much longer. Looking at the top of your footbed, they are hardly broken in.

In this post on my blog, these Reefs wore out after several years.

You can see the top of the footbed is worn and shaped to all five of my toes. The outer sole is worn too. I replaced these with a pair of Chaco my daughter had given me as a present. This was in 2015. I had to retire the Chacos earlier this year. Over 4 years of full time use, except when I went backpacking. I poured over 1,000 square feet of concrete and completely remodeled my house in the Chacos. Worn them around town, day hiked in them on numerous camping trips with Joyce, and even wore them to a wedding when Joyce forgot to supervise my wardrobe choices. The Chaco straps were still attached to the footbed, but the webbing was very frayed and falling apart at the top. They outer soles were worn almost to the midsole. This is what should be expected, IMO.

Chaco suntan

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Holy cow Nick, yours have def been thru the wringer and that’s quite the impressive Chaco tan! Mine are more worn than the pic really shows and have been used in and out of a lot of wet & sand, but nothing like yours. They are pushing 6-7yr old and I’d gotten them on sale, so wasn’t gonna push for warranty. I’d def gotten my money’s worth at that point. If anything, the lack of substantial visible wear is a testament to the good materials Chaco uses. In the end, my repair cost maybe $5 and about 30min of effort, which is less than shipping back & forth would have been anyways.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools