Topic

Flight Two is available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Flight Two is available

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

The new Flight Two is up on Seek Outside’s website and for order.  Looks fantastic.

https://seekoutside.com/flight-series-backpacks/

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Nice. Larger bottle pockets, and the ‘pleated’ the bottom of the pocket so they would ride lower.

YouTube video

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Did they make it taller than the original in the version 2.0?

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Looks identical (volume, dimensions) to the One with exception of the pocket shaping (patent pending? lol, ok) and the material used for the back pocket (mesh now). And it is slightly heavier. Maybe they reinforced it somewhere. Also, the spec sheet for the Two is a cut-paste copy of the the spec sheet for the One, so hopefully they fix that for people wanting to compare.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

We just did a podcast that should be up on it soon today or early tomorrow

The mesh is heavier than the SpectraGrid

The bottom is doubled on both the one and two (additional weight)

The belts are sized down smaller by a couple inches

Bear can options are a little different

The frame heights are the same as before .. how to adjust this DIY is well know and we make a larger platform that is heavier but similar that you can make ride at any height you want

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

cool, thanks for posting! It would be good service on your site to have a single matrix showing the differences in your packs – it would save me and other prospective customers have to open and switch between different tabs to compare. I did assume the mesh you used on the Two was heavier than the Spectragrid, that is a good move (not that the Spectragrid is too light, just that most meshes are), thanks for confirming.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

You are correct most mesh are heavier

We are in the process of a site redesign .. the mock ups look very slick, and our live inventory system is getting rolled back in as well currently  .. plus a slick new check out feature

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

The frame heights are the same as before.

That’s too bad.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

YouTube video

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

So…this is a question I have pondered making my own packs, and maybe SO can answer, or maybe someone else.

On the subject of double-layer bottoms, is SO using an uncoated inner layer? I have questioned whether using 2 layers of coated fabric would result in water being held and captured between the two layers, and then molding/mildewing out and smelling rotten, or something worse.

The posted video, seems to highlight exactly what I observed. different back panel, different water bottle pocket shapes – Kevin, you said the One and Two both have double layer bott0ms? was this a change recently made to the One to keep it in line with the new Two? Is the plan to phase out the One and then just rename the Two to be the new “Flight”? Why keep both? Why not just expand the Flight branding to include the back panel option? Why would someone like the water bottle pockets of the One over the water bottle pockets on the Two? Sorry, just questions coming from someone who designs products for a living (airline seats, not one of your competitors, hopefully).

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

There will be a one and two for awhile .. maybe forever. Some prefer the taller stuff pockets. Some prefer Spectra Grid over the mesh.

Change was made to keep the line and messaging consistent. Our desire, is not for this to be a really light pack that makes a bunch of sacrifices , but instead , a really capable pack , that is well made, and happens to be very light.  We don’t imagine this as a pack that requires a bunch of babying .. this would be my choice for a high route through the Weminuche for example .. so choices are made with that use case in mind.

Regarding the water retention , frankly no matter which fabric it is pretty water proof. Water should not enter unless something fails inside , and frankly it has the pockets in the one to carry 3 liter soft water bottles outside. That is not a big concern for us , rather the durability, carry, and usability is more our concern .

I know we won’t make every one happy , but we never do actually. We do have a whole other pack platform , that this is a complement to,  and currently that platform is doing very well . We feel these have a place as a complement and for lighter weight more minimalistic pursuits.

I don’t mean to say “toot” our own horn , but just a few years ago , a sub 3 lb pack would have tons of compromises in features, carry and durability. We are fortunate to have the current options. Now , you can be sub 3 lbs and have a really capable pack that is short on compromises.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Hi Kevin, I wasn’t questioning any of that. Regarding the water issue, I was more concerned about the idea of loading wet gear into the pack, and that wetness getting stuck between the two layers in the bottom, and potentially being unable to dry out in a reasonable amount of time. I am sure your products are awesome.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Is it possible to get a Flight Two (I’d prefer the lower cut side pockets) with the rear pocket completely left off? I’m guessing this is just less work/cost to do so? (Leaving on the little tabs for cordage/attachments on those same seams).

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Probably not  at the moment … maybe we put it in our custom shop at some point

Kevin

Evan E.
    BPL Member

@evaneis12gmail-com-2

Locale: western Massachusetts

I have an 18 inch torso length. Do these flight packs have any adjustability in the torso length?  What is the distance from the bottom of hip belt to shoulder straps?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

The torso , is only adjustable through load lifters. At 18 inch torso you could go either way. If you mostly scramble , and are less than 30 lbs and really value head movement I’d say go 22 ,..if you want to be closer to pushing the limits of load go 24

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools