Topic

Flex Capacitor/SMD Fusion/Seek Outside: Help me choose

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Flex Capacitor/SMD Fusion/Seek Outside: Help me choose

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

I’ve narrowed by search for a new backpack to the following three: (1) Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor; (2) SMD Fusion 65; and (3) Seek Outside Divide.  I’m looking for feedback, especially for anyone who has considered some or all of these packs and can speak to any sort of comparison between them and why/why not you went with one or the other.

My needs: I often carry either a large bear canister or a lot of water (6 liters or so), so capacity and the ability to haul some decent weight is important.  I do, occasionally, go out into the snow which requires a lot of volume for my gear.  On very rare occasion, I go out with the family which requires me to haul more gear so my wife and kids aren’t miserable.  I think I could oftentimes get away with a ~55 liter pack (maybe even smaller) when I’m solo, but since I do need some extra hauling capacity and weight carrying often enough, I’m gun shy on getting a smaller pack, and for all-around usefulness I think it would be best to stay in the ~60 liter range.

I am open to suggestions on similar packs; I’m just trying to achieve a good, comfortable pack for carrying slightly heavier loads and these seem to hit that target.

Thanks!

Michael

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I have owned/used Flex and SO Divide.

The advantage of Flex is that it can adapt to 40 or 60 liters easily. It is cheap – usually you can get it for 150 bucks. It carries extremely well for a 2.5 lb pack. It has nice pockets on shoulder straps and hip belt. Problems will be if you can get good fit due to lack of torso adjustment and pack material is only 100 denier nylon. Side pockets also may tear with bushwhacking – on well established trails – not an issue. Backpack will stand on its own when placed on the ground if that is important for you. Not waterproof. Since it is cheap, I don’t mind checking it in, as is, on flights. I did do that on 4 flights – it was fine.

SO Divide can carry lots of weight – known as a true load hauler. With hip belt pockets/shoulder strap pockets etc, it may cost 450 bucks compared to Flex. Much more durable than Flex. Has torso adjustment and hence can fit you better. If your gear becomes light weight in the future, then it may be too much of a bag for you. Will not stand upright on the ground if that is important to you. Mostly waterproof with xpac material. I know some folks have carried it as carry on – but, I may think twice to check it in, as is, as the frame is exposed – I think it is a strong fame – but, still worry about checking it in as the carrier may bend the frame. Not sure – maybe others can chime in.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Murali covered it.  I’d just add that when I’ve flown with Seek packs I take the frame out and disassemble it before packing in a duffel to eliminate any chance of it getting bent.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I’ve put my Divide in a duffel three times to Australia, frame still in, never had a problem. Probably 18 flight legs total. Could have just been lucky, I guess, but not something I worried about.

Ordered both Divide and Fusion 65 at time; way preferred the Divide for comfort (and customer service).

Best decision I ever made 😁

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I haven’t tried the Flex Capacitor (I’ve never used a SD pack), or the Fusion 65, but I have used packs from a ton of brands including, HMG, ULA, MLD, SWD, GG, SMD, Exped, McHale, Zimmerbuilt, Mountain Hardwear, Osprey, Gregory, Golite and probably a few more that I forgot and the Seek Outside packs carry better than any of them for heavy loads or even moderately heavy loads.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Much appreciated. I might have to also consider the SO Flight One. Forgot about that one and it looks impressive.  And fits well within the list I am looking at.

Michael

David K
    BPL Member

@back2basix

I have the SO Goshawk 4800 and I love it.  I’ve stripped the cross-braces and rigged a strap modification to be able to remove the hip-belt for lighter carries which takes the whole pack down to about 3.25 lbs with the Revolution frame.  I calculated with the options of carry I can comfortably hold anywhere from 40-110L.

The XPac is bear bombproof and I’ve hiked in a steady rain and had it not get through.  I have a Bearikade Blazer and it fits perfectly horizontal at the bottom which makes packing it easy.  I chose with a full length zipper and I can actually access my food without unpacking it by unzipping from the bottom.  The zipper is wonderful for packing.

It’s incredibly comfortable and versatile and can I’ve carried loads of up to 45 lbs without any discomfort so far.

My advice would be for the Goshawk.  The Divide is great but it can be cavernous and getting down to the bottom can be a bit of a chore of fishing around in the dark.  You can also look on their site for their blems that are sold at a discount.

Finally, should you choose the Revolution frame it does add a bit of weight, but it allows you to just buy the bags in the future and switch them out on the same frame, as well as adjusting the height of the frame for heavier carries.   And gives you a load hauling shelf if you want to carry a dry bag on the exterior.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Thanks, David.  I have always been impressed with Seek Outside.  The more I look at them, the more tempted I am to get something like the Gila, Divide or the new Flight One.

@mocs123
       Brad, I recall you tested the Flight One and I know you are a big fan of SO.  Any hesitation in endorsing the Flight One?  I know it’s a new pack for them and I am reluctant to buy a pack that may need some bugs worked out in subsequent versions. Would you mind if I contacted you offline (PM) with any questions I may have?

Michael

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools